Advice on finishing please....

pjl83

Hi All,

I've cut a plaque for my in-laws' ruby wedding anniversary. The "temporary" spray adhesive I used doesn't seem to be very temporary. It's left a horrible colouring on the wood. I think I'm correct in saying that I've used Birch Ply. I had to sand off the paper pattern with my electric sander but after so long it started leaving a reddish colour on the wood. Do you think I should try again by hand and hope that the colour isn't too deep or should I stain/varnish over it (although I don't think this will solve anything personally).

It's a bit frustrating as I like the piece but I have left the sanding and tidying of the internal edges until I know I can resolve this problem. It's been a pain from the beginning as I snapped my last blade whilst cutting it so had to finish most of the lettering by hand with a coping saw :( Once I get it resolved I'll be framing the piece with some quadrant beeding. I wasn't planning on colouring but not so sure now. If I can't solve it then it'll be on the scrap pile :curse:

40thplaque.jpg

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Paul

Hey Paul

My 2 cents is what others have told me, 1 is use masking tape or painters tape, to cover the wood first then spray the adhesive then pattern when done cutting just undo the tape and the pattern will come up with it.

2 is get some mineral spirits, bout 6 bucks at walmart not sure of the size bottle, but when u spray adhesive to wood, then pattern, cut, soak the left over pattern with mineral spirits, let stand 3-5 minutes, then rub off.

Best spray adhesive to use is 3m, ( my opinion). i do the tape first then pattern, for the more detailed pieces, and use carbon paper (i bought from ebay) for the less detailed, just trace around pattern, and voila its on wood.

Hope i helped some, i am still a newbie, but passing along advice i got

Jim

Hi Paul. It looks like the spray adhesive was wet when mounting your pattern. Either that or you sprayed the adhesive directly to the wood. Each spray adhesive is different, so I'd read the back of the can for instructions on temporary bonds. But usually what you do is spray the back of the pattern and let it sit for 20-30 seconds or so. It will be tacky like a post-it note. Then apply to the wood. Don't spray the wood directly. The grains will soak up the glue and you'll have a mess on your hands.

If you do it like this, the pattern should remove pretty easily. If it doesn't, use some Mineral Spirits and wet the paper pattern (I use a paper towel to apply the MS). The paper will turn translucent. Give it a couple of minutes, then try removing. It should slide right off.

As far as fixing the problem, try soaking the top with Mineral Spirits to loosen up the glue and gunk. Let it sit for a few minutes and try wiping it off with a paper towel. Do this a few times and set it aside to dry and see the results. If it looks better, I'd either repeat the process or switch to sanding. But the main goal is to get the glue removed before sanding. Otherwise you're just smearing the glue and sawdust into a mess.

I hope that works for you. Keep us up to date.

I use clear packing tape on the wood and then spray the back of the pattern. Never had any problems removing the pattern after. My suggestion would be to scrap that piece and cut a new one. If you attempt sanding you run the risk of sanding thru the top layer of the ply. Attempting to remove the adhesive now might only make it worse. Just not worth the aggravation.

Thanks for all the tips. I'll definitely try the tape-on-first method next time. I've read somewhere that this also helps to lubricate the blade whilst cutting? I had a go at sanding tonight (before I'd read this about the mineral spirits). It seems to have come up nice. I'll post a picture once I've framed it . I think I may have got away with this one! :shock:

Good tip about letting dry first too. I sprayed the paper and then layed it on straight away so this could be where I went wrong.

All good experience I suppose. ;)

Thanks again

Paul

Glad you got it sorted out Paul...you might keep in mind that Scotchbrite is sometimes good for rubbing wood down....(I got this tip from a guy who has been finishing wood for 40 years) just be sure to try said abrasive on a small piece of scrap first..I picked up some Scotchbrite from hell a while back..it has scilicon carbide in it....great for cleaning metal up but wood...NOOOO!!...the less agressive pads are good for rubbing clear coat down before final finish...

I'm new to this as well and had been having trouble getting a good finish on my first project..will post a pic once I figure out how to get it on here..lol

Doug

I agree with Travis on this one. I use the Duro brand of spray adhesive from Wal-mart/Lowes. I spray the back of the pattern wait roughly 30 seconds and then apply it to the wood. After cutting I use an old rag to soak the pattern with paint thinner from Wal-Mart (couple $$ a gallon). After a few minutes the pattern peels right off. I then wipe the wood with thinner and then a dry cloth. I usually let the piece dry overnight and then add a backer if needed and finish sand. then finish. Steve

I agree with Travis on this one. I use the Duro brand of spray adhesive from Wal-mart/Lowes. I spray the back of the pattern wait roughly 30 seconds and then apply it to the wood. After cutting I use an old rag to soak the pattern with paint thinner from Wal-Mart (couple $$ a gallon). After a few minutes the pattern peels right off. I then wipe the wood with thinner and then a dry cloth. I usually let the piece dry overnight and then add a backer if needed and finish sand. then finish. Steve

I agree with Steve and Travis on this , but I also use a heat gun to remove the pattern faster and I use automotive lacquer thinner and it's real cheap and it take the any left over glue off real fast ..........Marshall