Scroll Saw Mags

bonacker

Has anyone noticed that the 2 most popular scroll saw mags, Creative Woodworks and Crafts and Scroll Saw Woodworking, have both become more elementary in the projects they offer? I have been scrolling for about 9 years and 90% of their offerings hold no interest for me. I have already cancelled my subscription to one, and will let my other expire.

Where do you get your inspirations for projects? I often will go to Google images and try to create patterns from them. Any other ideas out there?

Hello Art, We over here in England as far as I know we haven't any scrollsaw Mags, The two you mention

I've heard of them but not read one simply because of the cost, I can't say if they are good or not, It

would be nice to read one, I try to use bits of free clipart and make them into scroll patterns myself,

Bob  ;)

You could go back in time at the bottom of the bragging rights page and go back hundreds of pages of things others have made  for one. Then there's plenty of sites that sell patterns .You could go to them for ideas to make up something unique for your self.Hope this helps ! :) suemey.com has plenty to see and so does the scroll girl sheila landrey.com,There's to many sites to list.One of our members furnished a list that would boggle the mind to see.I have that list buryed somewhere. :) Travis may post one for you as he's very organized with paper work. :)

It all starts with computer literacy unlike Kevin I'm not a big believer in Paperwork I store everything on my computer, First of all have you joined any more scrollsaw sites besides this one? Not that this one is bad in my opinion this is one of the best the people are great on this site and there is plenty of free patterns and if you need one made there is always someone willing to create a master piece for you. But personally I'm not much into portraits as such I like free standing 3D projects and have found for those I go to sites in the middle east and eastern Europe Start by befriending or becoming a member of 3d Puzzle world on face book a fellow named Sam is the organizer and ones your in there you'll find all the foreign scrollers Don't let the language deter you there is a lot of Spanish and Egyptian on there but with good prints and Google translate you'll do just fine good luck and message me if your having a problem I'm fairly bilingual. 

I subscribe to SSW&C.  I like to see what's being made and where the trends are.  I think they have a pretty good mix of all kinds of scroll work with all different levels of expertise.  I think intricate/compicated patterns are hard to describe in an article, which may be the reason you don't see to many.  I rarely cut projects from magazines, though.  I usually design my own, taking inspiration from magazine projects, stuff others do, stuff at retail stores, etc.  That way I can tailor it specifically to my personality.  Designing is part of the hobby that makes it fun for me.  Others aren't too interested in designing, so they rely on other's designs.

I find books are a great place to find cuttable patterns if you're drawn to a specific type of scrolling; puzzles, compound cutting, wildlife portraits, bowls, etc.  If you're drawn to a specific designer's style, you can follow them through newsletters, blogs, and social media.  Lots of inspiration there.  Forums and social media are good ways to see what others are making.  Pattern clearinghouses like scroller ltd, Wooden Teddy Bear, Windfield Collection, etc are good places to browse.

If you like intricate victorian fretwork with some challenge, check out this website and their patterns:  http://www.finescrollsaw.com/

Good topic, Art,

I've been in a slump myself trying to think of new items to design patterns from.

I really haven't seen much in SSWC or CWWC lately that appeals to me and I

haven't cut anything for about 6 months or more because of health issues and low

ambition but, hope to get out of the slump and get some patterns made and some

items cut.

Hopefully this discussion will get a list of general topics that people would be interested in

cutting if they had some patterns made.

God Bless! Spirithorse

I have subscribed to SSW&C since it started but I am not going to renew when the subscription finishes at the end of the year.  However I do have all of those old mags to look in and lots of books I have collected over the years.  I also have hundreds of patterns I have collected from this site and others, I am never at a loss for a pattern it just takes me a while to find the one I want thats all.

Marg

I'm personally not convinced that there are no good patterns left out there, on the contrary, I believe a lot of scrollers have been practicing with blinders on and are missing the real world of scrolling. Scrolling is not about making pictures or silhouettes only, its much larger than that. Think about all the antique furniture that had scroll work on them, the oriental jewelery boxes with their scroll work on them, Scrolled lamps Coo-coo Clocks Grandfather clocks, etc etc we just need to venture out and explore the internet more and challenge our self more. The plans are out there and a lot are for free. Go ahead and make the leap into real scrolling you'll never go back.