DeWalt 788 Light

Stale Peeps

Hi guys,

I've often heard people complain about the factory light fixture for the 788, and I'm curious what the problem with them tends to be.

I have a type 1 788 with the light and I am very happy with it. It is rock solid and throws out a large amount of light (just wish I could find an LED replacement bulb for it).

Was there a design change somewhere along the line that might explain why my light works great, but others seem to have issues with theirs?

Mine was just a cheap piece of junk thrown on the side that was a bear to even find the right bulb for it!

I am totally happy with my modifications to the stand and the light.

I put a shelf between the saw and the stand. I have a stemmed spring arm type desk lamp that I drilled holes in my shelf for positioning it on either side and forward or back as needed!

It takes standard bulbs that are cheap easily found and give a lot better light than the original. I use a screw-in fluorescent daylight bulb and it lasts very well. Current one is at least a couple of years old.

Maybe they did change it! Hard to get expensive bulbs that burned out rapidly made no sense to me!

I had used the same type of light on my old Dremel that even had factory holes for it. SO I knew that it would work well! On top of that;it no longer gets HOT!

Edited by rjR

It's interesting to hear that the light falls out of position for so many people, given that mine is solid as a rock (sometimes it takes two hands to even move it). It makes me suspect that they changed the "arm" to one that is far less stiff than mine. Or maybe I just got one that is extra stiff.

My only complaint is with the lightbulbs that are used. I don't like the "yellow" light from traditional style bulbs, and I do not like the large amount of heat generated by them, either. An LED bulb would solve both of those problems, but I haven't been able to locate one so far.

I guess I'm one of the lucky ones. I bought the light when I bought the saw without really knowing anything about the design. It works fine and stays in place. I do agree about the bulbs. I've been through 4 in 3 years, and they do get hot. Other than that, I'm happy with it.