everyone know our habits

heppnerguy

I was thinking about this while in my shop yesterday and it occurred to me that most of us have been scrolling for quite some time and we seem to pick up ideas along the way and use them almost daily and forget that there was a time that we did not even know this when we started scrolling so it becomes a 'no big deal' and we begin to think that everyone else probably already does this anyway so there is no need to share it. Well, I cut a pattern of Steve Good's and decided to change it from a desk top piece to a wall plaque. No big deal there, but I then wanted to add a backer board to it so that it had a little contrast to the walls and it also helped show off the piece at the same time. Still with me? Still no big deal, but I, personally enjoy having the backer board extrude my wall plaque, sometimes, instead of it being cut on the same outline as the display. I recently ran across a pattern that helped my to get the 'perfect amount of reveal with out error. so I decide that i would share this tip with everyone here, because I probably am not the only person who does not know this technique. Or at least I think i am. So here is the tip. If you want to extend your backer board evenly around your display all you have to do is, place the cutout on the board you wish to make your backer board from and place a small metal washer on the outside of your already cutout piece and put a sharpened pencil on the inside of the washer and simply push the washer all around the cutout piece and it will draw you outline perfectly  every time. I have enclosed my project so you can see how it comes out. I hope this is helpful to someone.

Dick

heppnerguy 

post-2238-0-78901600-1405018121_thumb.png

post-2238-0-94779200-1405018157_thumb.png

I Dick your right about acquired tricks ,homemade in fact .When i need to do as you suggesting i have coins with a small drill hole in the center for the pencil to steer around the perimiter of the project!,.Dime, nickel, quarter,half dollar is the only sizes I've needed so far . Thanks for bringing this to light for everyone. :cool:

Hey, sure do like the tip. But have a question for you...how did you attach the thumbnail?

When you want to post one of these, you just go to the lower part of you post and click on the 'more reply options' button. It will display another smaller  window. click on the  'choose files' button and select the photo you want to attach to your entry. when you open that selection window, if the photo you want to select is not in that spot, you should have some options on the right side of that pop up where you can select the folder that holds your picture in it. click on the photo you wish to upload and then it will upload in the lower part of your post. then post it .  if that is not clear to you or if you can't understand what I am telling you, please feel free to let me know and I will be able to help you further, with no problem. Good luck

Dick

heppnerguy

Edited by heppnerguy

I like using the washers, that you would use for 1/8th" pop rivets. There isn't a whole lot of metal between the washer, and the exterior of the object being traced around. It allows for about a 1/8" border, which is just right for most items that I cut. But, I also have an assortment of different washers with different side distances (radius) to the outside edge of the washer. I use them for larger items.

Len