Slab Cedar Projects

LarryEA

I was recently in Virginia and stopped by a friends home.

He gave me a half dozen slabs of cedar. They are about

10 inches in diameter and 2 to 2 /12 inches thick. I pondered

what I could do with them and got the idea to cut 1/2 inch pieces

from them. Plane them and make mini projects. Here is what I

have completed so far. I made one into a necklace. I have some

other item I have in mind to make. I thought I would also make

potpourrrie bags with the scraps.

Use what you have and waste not.

post-5492-0-06956900-1405800690_thumb.jpg

I don't know what you call them, but people throw blocks of cedar into their drawers to keep bugs/moths away and to make the laundry smell good.  I bet you can make a few decorative cutouts like butterflies, flower, or even a cutout of a pair of socks.  Make good Christmas gifts or even a seller at a craft show.

Once the nice smell goes away, hit it again with a bit of sandpaper to "renew" the cedar.

I don't know what you call them, but people throw blocks of cedar into their drawers to keep bugs/moths away and to make the laundry smell good.  I bet you can make a few decorative cutouts like butterflies, flower, or even a cutout of a pair of socks.  Make good Christmas gifts or even a seller at a craft show.

Once the nice smell goes away, hit it again with a bit of sandpaper to "renew" the cedar.

Yes, I had thought of making potpourri bags of cedar chips and shavings.

But not a decorative piece. A simple cross or heart I will start with.

Gee, even the fish is simple enough.

I have been saving every scrap. If I don't use it, maybe my shop will smell better.

My wife requests some of the cedar for your dresser drawers, but I never thought to scroll them into something that looks nice too. and thanks for the sanding tip, I did not know that

Dick

heppnerguy

You don't know how lucky you are living over the big pond, we can't get beautiful woods like that Cedar over here, and the fer really nice woods we can get cost us an arm and a leg!!!  So if you want to pack up a boxfull and send it over for my birthday it will be greatly recieved :thumbs: :thumbs:  I would even go as far as to share it with RobRoy - I'll keep the wood and he can have the box :evil: :evil:

But all sais and done Larry, you did a great job of the miniatures there, that necklace looks great.

Keefie.