Packing Tape

Fish

Has anyone used packing tape for lubricant for your blades and then when you attempt to take it off,  the tape comes off and the adhesive stays on the wood?  I finished a piece tonight using duct brand tape made in China, and this is what happened. It is a mess and gently sanding it only gums it up. I used 1/4" BB, and there is quite a few small fragile pieces to it. I don't know what the previous brand of tape it was I used but it never gave me this problem. Have any of you ever had this problem? What did you do to get it off?  Thanks for your help.

Fish

Has anyone used packing tape for lubricant for your blades and then when you attempt to take it off,  the tape comes off and the adhesive stays on the wood?  I finished a piece tonight using duct brand tape made in China, and this is what happened. It is a mess and gently sanding it only gums it up. I used 1/4" BB, and there is quite a few small fragile pieces to it. I don't know what the previous brand of tape it was I used but it never gave me this problem. Have any of you ever had this problem? What did you do to get it off?  Thanks for your help.

Fish

Hi Dan, I think you made a bad choice with the duct tape(no offence intended Dan). That stuff sticks like a Scotsman sticks to his wallet, and the fact it was Chinese makes the problem worse. Try some alcohol as suggested.

Rob Roy.

Hi Fish:

Sticky situation you're in I see

When I ran into this problem, I used a small torch and gently ran it over the piece with the tape.

You have to do it fast or you will have a nice charred look to your design.

Just enough to warm up the tape then it just rolls off your piece.

Similar method as Phantom Scroller (Roly)

I put clear packing tape on the wood, then use the dollar store glue sticks and apply it to both the tape

and the back of the pattern then another row of tape on top of the pattern. This keeps everything together in case I miss

a spot or two with the glue. and lubricates the blade at the same time

Peels off nice once done.

This method works for me.

Good luck

Fab4

I tried the packing tape once . I was cutting walnut and tried the tape

the problem was that the saw dust got under the tpoe between the pattern and the tape . I couldn;t see the pattern and that was the last time that I tied packing tape.I don't even use spray on glue any more I use painters tape and a glue stick, It really works best for me. It might be a little more expensive than spray glue but It just works best for me,

I have this problem lately from old cans of spray glue.I guess I'm not shaking them enough and only the most sticky stuff kind of sprays ou in globbst.It's real tough getting this kind of glue off the project. I'm thinking as soaking it in an aluminum wrapped tray around the project and fill 1/4" with solvents of choice.Now that in staining project it is a problem for me.I usually don't stain .I'm ready to even try lacquer thinner to loosen or dissolve the gummy stuff or break down the glue it's self. :cool:

I agree with the comment to not use duct tape or anything with similar sticking/adhesive qualities - you will just never get the release you want when you try to remove it.  I started with regular clear package sealing tape placed on the wood, 3M45 spray adhesive, and then place the pattern on.  The only change I have made over the years is to switch from clear package sealing tape to blue painters tape.  I like the blue painters tape because it adheres good enough but not as hard as clear package sealing tape and thus is easier to remove and if you miss anything when peeling it off the blue is readily visible when I sometimes would not realize there was a bit of clear package sealing tape left until I got to the finish stage.  Just my way of doing it and finding my happy place on tape - adhesive - pattern.

Thanks for the advice I'll try the mineral spirits. Maybe the packing tape I had before was scotch brand, I didn't know Duct made packing tape until now.  I think I'll start putting it back on the pattern again, I started putting it under the pattern to get rid of the glare.

I don't like the sticky residue of any kind on my wood surfaces after I cut out my pieces so I always start with blue painters tape, It comes off pretty easy and i don't find any sticky residue left on my work when i peel off the tape. Over the tape, I put my pattern that I spray glue the back of and stick it right on the tape. The first time I tried to use spray glue, I found the pattern was lifting on some of my closer really small fretwork, so i tried a glue stick. I found that it worked better for me but I found that I needed to be sure I got the purple glue sticks and not the white. The glue sticks were  considerably cheaper than the glue sticks too. About six months ago i discovered spray adhesive at Harbor freight by the CRC company. That company is an American manufacture and have been around for a long time and I knew their products to always be good ones and the cost was only about $10 for a very large can. It works really well for me. it keeps the pattern on the tape and when I am finished it comes off easily. I am sold on it, personally. I too had the sawdust collect under the clear packing tape when I used it, so I stopped using it for a long time. Recently, however, I did try it again and I no longer had this problem. I put the clear tape over the pattern that i had applied to the blue painters tape and I had no problem with the sawdust any longer. Make sure the clear tape is pressed down and sealed against the pattern very well. Not sure but maybe I was leaving some wrinkles in my clear tape that trapped the sawdust, before. 

I know I am a little windy but i hope this might help someone..

Dick

heppnerguy

I too use blue painter's tape on most of my projects. One exception is when I'm cutting 1/4" plywood. I have found that peeling the tape off will sometimes pull the top layer of plywood off with it. For those occasions I apply the pattern directly to the wood with spray adhesive and remove it with mineral spirits.

I too use blue painter's tape on most of my projects. One exception is when I'm cutting 1/4" plywood. I have found that peeling the tape off will sometimes pull the top layer of plywood off with it. For those occasions I apply the pattern directly to the wood with spray adhesive and remove it with mineral spirits.

I have had the tape pull off a little of the layer of wood on my lessor expensive wood so I am glad to hear how you handle that problem.. I will keep that in mind

THis issue comes up about twice a year...how to attach a pattern.

There are a number of proper ways and twice as many 'I have a problem way.'

1) Use painters tape on the wood first, attach the pattern to the painters tape

with spray glue then top it with clear packing tape.

2) My preference is ...Use 'GLAD Press N' Seal attach pattern with spray glue,

top with clear tape.

3) Just spray the pattern with spray glue, cover with clear tape.

Use lacquer thinner to remove the pattern.

There are other methods, these are the ones I use without any problems.