Cherry

A friend down the road from me knock on my door and said I'm cutting down cherry trees to make way for a road do you want any and of course I said NO! yea alrighty then, like I'D SAY NO. I shot down there as fast as my little legs could carry me and he said take what you want here's some of it already chain sawed up yippeeee. Jealous or what. 

My bandsaw is going to be busy.  Roly

post-2228-0-66487800-1406899520_thumb.jpg

Nice score, Roly.  How long will you need to let it season before you can actually use it for scrolling ? My guess is about a year, minimum, but I really have only dried some Juniper and I found, probably due to my inexperience, that some of it cracked in the process. You are right, I for one,am jealous of your great score. What a great wood for scrolling. Are you going to split it and dry it or are you just goig to let it sit for awhile ? Or, can you just use it now ?  Told you i knew nothing about this process.

Dick

heppnerguy

on the web there is a website. Lumber moisture calculator. you figure the board ft. and fill in the blanks with wood type ,  ,With  moisture content  that it should be usually 10 to 12 % and it will tell you what that board should weigh. My Grandson works in a saw mill and I get the cured lumber usually 4 ft light and 4/4 thickness It usually takes 9 to 12 months to cure

IKE

I am one step ahead of you. I cut the two smaller logs I picked up in Indiana last Tuesday. I have to take a chainsaw and split the other two so they will fit thru the band saw. :razz:  :razz: :razz:  :D  :D  :D  

post-19286-0-02654300-1406911484_thumb.jpg

Have fun with yours.

I wish I could have taken the 30" dia 20' long log to a saw mill. :cry:  :cry: 

Super Haul Roly, Just watch your timing when you put it in the MICROWAVE when you're drying it. :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol: . We look forward to some lovely cuttings in the not too distant future :cool:  :cool: .

Rob Roy.

That would be some microwave, how can you get so turned on by wood my wife thinks I'm mad. alright you lot I know exactly what your thinking.  Roly

That would be some microwave, how can you get so turned on by wood my wife thinks I'm mad. alright you lot I know exactly what your thinking.  Roly

I think Roly we are all possibly in the same boat, as far as the wives are concerned. My wife says I'm WIDDIN HEIDIT, which translates to, wooden headed.. There you go Roly, you can insult your friends with impunity now (unless they're Scottish). :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :razz:  :razz: .

Rob Roy.

PS at my age wood is about the only thing that turns me on.

Edited by Rob Roy

I think Roly we are all possibly in the same boat, as far as the wives are concerned. My wife says I'm WIDDIN HEIDIT, which translates to, wooden headed.. There you go Roly, you can insult your friends with impunity now (unless they're Scottish). :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :razz:  :razz: .

Rob Roy.

PS at my age wood is about the only thing that turns me on.

I bet you prefer hard wood!!