finish (varnish)

kardar2

Hello,

I was brushing on varnish on all my projects and then Steve good sent out a review on spray on varnish by minwax so I tried it and I liked it so I have been using it. know I was looking in a magazine and saw a air brush kit and thought it might be a little cheaper to buy the varnish is a can and use an air brush set up using my big compressor. and thinking of running another air line in to my shop and putting a valve and a gauge so I can cut the air way down and adding a second filter so I don't get any water. Do any of you use this method? thanks for your input. Kardar2

I feel if you have allot of projects that you are spraying at one time then using an airbrush would be great. If you are just going to be doing one or two projects and then spraying them, stay with the can.

Airbrushes are great, however to keep them clean and operational is allot of maintenance and very time consuming.

Hope this helps

... what Dale said.

Airbrushes need stripping down and cleaning very often. If I am spraying 2 or 3 colours in succession then I can usually get away with spraying a paint thinner or airbrush cleaner through between colours. However I dont think I would entertain the idea of spraying varnish at all because that would entail a very good strip down and clean through as soon as possible after spraying.

The nearest I have come to spraying varnish was to use Johnsons Klear ("Future" in the USA). That is acrylic based though and cleaned pretty easily. Unfortunately I understand that the product is now discontinued :(