Project Rudolf Challenge

Travis

This little challenge was spurred on by this thread by Yost69. He is cutting a bunch of ornaments for Project Rudolf. For those of you who don't know, Project Rudolf is a non-profit group that sends a Christmas care package to our soldiers overseas. Everything in the package is handcrafted and includes notes of Thank You's for the soldiers. It really is a neat organization. If you have a chance to help out this group, please do so. Our soldiers need to know we care. So in the interest of encouraging folks to help this great organization, I thought we'd have a little challenge.

This challenge is easy. If you are a pattern designer, please post an ornament pattern(s) to be used for Project Rudolf. They don't have to be Military themed, either. Just something thoughtful that you think a soldier would like. We need lots of patterns. This way folks who are only interested in cutting will have lots to choose from.

If you're a cutter, post a picture of some of the ornaments you cut for the soldiers. You can choose from the patterns available here, other websites, or published patterns. It doesn't matter. Just pick something that you'd think a soldier would enjoy, cut it, take a pic, and put it in the mail.

That's it. I hope a ton of folks really get involved with this challenge. It is very easy, cheap, and you will brighten a soldier's Christmas, despite of being away from their home. You can find more information at Project Rudolf's Official Website.

These may or may not work. The original idea was to send a Iraq or Afghanistan ornament with a message on the back. But Project Rudolf may need them a bit more generic. However, they would be good for sending to a specific soldier (someone in your family, or a friend).

thumb_iraq_ornament.jpgthumb_Afghanistan_Ornament.jpg

Last year was the first time I participated in sending ornaments to them. I will say it gives you a warm fuzzy feeling inside when you donate to a worthy cause.

I for one am against the way the war was initiated, will keep my opinions to myself, but I always remember that it is not the soldiers fault. I am so greatfull for what they do to keep this country free. I joined the army fresh out of highschool, went to the MEPS center in Baltimore and barely passed the physical (back issues from lifting weights in shcool). Was enlisted for just under a month when the c/o saw how I couldn't touch my toes without my face turning red from the pain. Needless to say they booted me. Enough about me.

Thanks to everyone that participates in this challenge.

Ben

• 2 weeks later...

I got involved in this project this year for the first time. As a vet myself 68-71 I understand what it is like to be away for the holidays..This is a wonderful cause. I wish that we had people back home doing this for us when I was over the pond.

I have cut about 24 so far and just found a bunch more ornaments to choose from so will be cutting more.

I was told that they like them to be under 5" and they would prefer less intricate ones as they have had feedback the soldiers like to carry them in their pockets and the fragile ones tend to get broken easily.

My wifes church sunday school which she teaches is also involved now with letter writing and decorating paper bags....

None of my business but I was told they prefer nothing that looks military or guns etc. Just a heads up.

I think that maybe you would want to check to see if the ornament that ilovetosaw contributed is appropriate for this endeavor? It is a great ornament so don't get your feelings hurt but is it appropriate for this project?

I got involved in this project this year for the first time. As a vet myself 68-71 I understand what it is like to be away for the holidays..This is a wonderful cause. I wish that we had people back home doing this for us when I was over the pond.

I have cut about 24 so far and just found a bunch more ornaments to choose from so will be cutting more.

I was told that they like them to be under 5" and they would prefer less intricate ones as they have had feedback the soldiers like to carry them in their pockets and the fragile ones tend to get broken easily.

My wifes church sunday school which she teaches is also involved now with letter writing and decorating paper bags....

None of my business but I was told they prefer nothing that looks military or guns etc. Just a heads up.

I think that maybe you would want to check to see if the ornament that ilovetosaw contributed is appropriate for this endeavor? It is a great ornament so don't get your feelings hurt but is it appropriate for this project?

Great advice. Its nice to hear from those who have a little more experience with Project Rudolf. This will be my first year. I look forward to sending a bunch of ornaments. It's a great organization and its nice to think of our soldiers, especially during the Holidays. I know I wouldn't want to be away from my family. I just hope this makes it a tish bit easier for them.

This challenge is open to anybody's interpretation. This includes military themed submissions. The only thing I would specifically disallow is any political commentary. If an artist chooses to do a military themed pattern/cutting, it is because they feel it is appropriate and would be appreciated. I think it's also good to remember that their military service will be a major part these soldier's lives. This ornament will serve as a memento of those times. So if you want to do a military themed ornament, by all means go for it. But it is also good to note that some soldiers would prefer non-military themed ornaments.

Those are all great points to consider Travis. Personally I like to do more of a traditional Christmas theme............basically because they are so far from home and it might be a little momento to help them to remember Christmas's of their past.............good memories. Sorry about the run on sentence lol.

Grampa I LOVE this idea! I may just use this to make a few........but I think I would prefer to put a Christmassy image on it. Thanks so much everyone for participating and sharing patterns. It's sure to bring a few smiles far from home.

Christina

• 1 month later...