Compound cutting patterns

bonacker

I've been successful at cutting compound patterns, but only from patterns in books by Diana Thompson and others. It's neat when you cut a dolphin on one face of the block and turn it 90 degrees and get a sailboat on the other face.

I'd like to create my own patterns. Can one just put anything on one face and anything on the other? I don't see how this would work. I should think one pattern would have to mesh with the other somehow. Obviously, you can't have a circle on one side and a square on the other.

How do you create such things? The books have a lot of patterns, but nothing about how to make your own.

Art.

All 3d patterns are outlines of the front view face on and the side view it's as simple as that, some 3d patterns have a front view of one thing and the side is a front view of another object two different objects. that's how I see it. do one and try it, what's the worse thing that can happen it becomes fire wood. Roly

I so sorry I was over exaggerating again. I've done plenty of compounds, but whet way over the hill on trying to understand what you were saying ,Compounds are fun and i'm on the look out for white pine 2" x 4" just for that purpose. Haven't found any in a while.Thisvis just the ticket I'm looking for as the landlady says to do dollar projects rather that the big dollar items to sell in her store .Makes sense!.The taxi drivers all want the big dollar airport runs when you can accomplish the same in small runs!Thanks again for the tip on low buck items to sell.Most everybody except me ha pocket change! :cool: