In Big Need

Messman

I am sorry that this is my second posting and I am begging for things but this is really important to me and I hope I can find a couple of folks to help me out with this.

Ok all I work for a Juvenile Corrections Facility and have been given a position where I can put together things for the youth to do. So therefor I am in the process of putting together a Scrolling program there. I am going to teach these young men how to make patterns and scroll portraits. But I have a problem, the first is funding, the second is putting together course material. Which leads me to the reason for my posting.

If you have a scroll saw that is laying around collecting dust and rust that you can, and would like, to donate to helping young men straighten their lives out, please contact me at Messmanswoodworking@cox.net

The requirments for the saw is that it must work and accept penless blades.

My second request is if you can create or maybe you already have course material you can send me for a true scrolling class I would be, as well as countless young men, be very greatfulll. The age group for these young men will range from 11 to 19.

I have a number of them already very excited about the program I want to start. Most all of them have seen signs I have made hanging in my office and they want to learn how.

Any help you can provide would be great. I can be reached at Messmanswoodworking@cox.net

Chris

Hi Chris,

It sounds like you have a great idea for a program! Scrolling is certainly a great confidence builder with a wonderful creative outlet. Hopefully somebody will be able to help you out with a saw or two. Where are you located?

As far as course material, I know Ken Bruzda (kennybruzda) teaches a class for a Woodcraft Store. You can find his name in this thread. Maybe you can email him and see what he has to say. If you can't find course material, I bet you could brainstorm with the rest of us and perhaps come up with something. You also might want to look at Scroll Saw Workbook by John Nelson and The New Scroll Saw Handbook by Patrick Spielman, both available at Amazon or your favorite bookstore. That might get you started, too.

Let us know if you need any help brainstorming! :)

I have someone who donated a new saw from Rockler. If you would like to help out with purchasing a saw Rockler has them on sale right now $64.99

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?Offe ... ct=Details

Thanks for thinking about helping out and for those who have already helped out in some way you are saints.

Chris

I sure wish I was in a position to help..............such a worthy cause! My husband was just laid off from his job so I can't financially help. And as a new scroller I don't have a lot I can help with. I am a patternmaker however and would be most happy to help if you need any beginner patterns.............just give me an idea of what you would like and I will do my best to make them for you. Sorry it can't be more.

Christina

I sure wish I was in a position to help..............such a worthy cause! My husband was just laid off from his job so I can't financially help. And as a new scroller I don't have a lot I can help with. I am a patternmaker however and would be most happy to help if you need any beginner patterns.............just give me an idea of what you would like and I will do my best to make them for you. Sorry it can't be more.

Christina

I may call on your help then. I have a hard time doing the more simple patterns, I tend to get very detailed minded in my patterns.

Chris

Still could use a saw or two, but I am in a place where things can get moving forward fairly well. For every one who has donated a saw a huge thank you.

Now I can move to the smaller things that are needed. In addition to a couple more saws being needed I am also in need of some cheap cordless drills and small drill bits, eye protection, small files like these http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/d ... number=468 . Still could use some books, and a teacher who can at least tell me the proper way to write approved lesson plans. Hearing protection and all that small stuff that is needed that one never thinks about.

Chris

Ok here is where we stand with the donations and what I still need.

• [*:3ah0c315]Scroll Saws 8 of 12
    [*:3ah0c315]Cordless Drills 0 of 2
    [*:3ah0c315]Small Drill Bits (can't have enough of them they will get broke fast) 0
    [*:3ah0c315]Random Orbitial Sanders 0 of 3
    [*:3ah0c315]Sand paper for sanders (again can't have too much) 220 grit 0
    [*:3ah0c315]Hearing Protection Ear Muff Style 0 of 12
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/d ... mber=43768 1 box of Foam plugs donated
[*:3ah0c315]Needle files 0 of 2 sets
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...Itemnumber=468
[*:3ah0c315]Scrollsaw Blades (all types)(again can not have to many) 3 gross of blades (96 3-D, 96 5-D, 96 7-D Double Skip Blades; 48 5-R, 48 7-R, 48 9-R Reverse Skip blades) have been donated
[*:3ah0c315]Scrolling Books (books for beginners, would like 11 of the same book) Donated Books
1 Spielman's "New Scroll Handbook"
1 Spielman's "Scroll Saw Basics"
1 "Southwest Scroll Saw Patterns"
1 Scroll Saw Segmentation
[*:3ah0c315]Small Finishing hammer 0 of 2
[*:3ah0c315]Tool Box 0 of 2 (Must be able to accept a padlock)
[*:3ah0c315]Dust Masks (Disposable, again can not have to many)
[*:3ah0c315]Portable work benches (I am still undecided which direction to go with this suggestions please)
[*:3ah0c315]Clamps 0 of 12
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/d ... mber=34387
[*:3ah0c315]Safety Glasses 12 of 12

That is all I can think of right now. I am sure I missed something. If you do send items please inform me what you send so I can keep track and let everyone know what I no longer need. Any help you can provide would be great.

To send an item post here or PM me please.

Chris

That's a good list. It'll give people ideas of what you need if they can't afford to purchase a scroll saw.

I thought I'd throw this out for ya. Random orbital sanders are great, but they tend to be expensive. You can buy a palm sander for $13 and they take regular sandpaper and works just as good. I found that sandpaper for $1/pack at the dollar store. Same thing with the cordless drills. If you bought a corded drill, it'll only set you back for $15. You get a lot more bang for the buck so you have money left over for other tools/supplies.

I don't think Scroll Saw Basics or Scroll Saw Segmentation are in print anymore. At least not according to Amazon. I've never read Scroll Saw Basics, but I'm guessing you'll get all the info you need from New Scroll Saw Handbook. As far as Scroll Saw Segmentation, I checked it out from the library and wasn't all that impressed. Scroll Saw Mosaics by Frank Droege looked pretty good though, but I haven't seen much more than an Amazon preview.

Hope this helps!

That's a good list. It'll give people ideas of what you need if they can't afford to purchase a scroll saw.

I thought I'd throw this out for ya. Random orbital sanders are great, but they tend to be expensive. You can buy a palm sander for $13 and they take regular sandpaper and works just as good. I found that sandpaper for $1/pack at the dollar store. Same thing with the cordless drills. If you bought a corded drill, it'll only set you back for $15. You get a lot more bang for the buck so you have money left over for other tools/supplies.

I don't think Scroll Saw Basics or Scroll Saw Segmentation are in print anymore. At least not according to Amazon. I've never read Scroll Saw Basics, but I'm guessing you'll get all the info you need from New Scroll Saw Handbook. As far as Scroll Saw Segmentation, I checked it out from the library and wasn't all that impressed. Scroll Saw Mosaics by Frank Droege looked pretty good though, but I haven't seen much more than an Amazon preview.

Hope this helps!

Travis,

I'm sorry, I guess I didn't make that clear in my previous posting. The books I have listed there are the books that have been donated so far. There has been 1 Scroll Saw Basics, 1 scroll Saw Segmentation, and 1 New Scroll Saw Handbook donated so far. I have been doing a little looking around and I would like to get a min. of 11 copies of the New Scroll Saw Handbook so I can use it as a text. I hope that clears that up a little.

Chris

Ok here is where we stand with the donations and what I still need. Items in Red are items that are still needed

• [*:zof1jnb1]Scroll Saws 10 of 12 (3 recieved)
    [*:zof1jnb1]Cordless Drills 0 of 2
    [*:zof1jnb1]Small Drill Bits (can't have enough of them they will get broke fast) 0
    [*:zof1jnb1]Random Orbitial Sanders 0 of 3
    [*:zof1jnb1]Sand paper for sanders (again can't have too much) 220 grit 0 (200 sheets Donated)
    [*:zof1jnb1]Hearing Protection Ear Muff Style 0 of 12
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf? Itemnumber=43768 (1 box of Foam plugs donated)
[*:zof1jnb1]Needle files 0 of 2 sets
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...Itemnumber=468
[*:zof1jnb1]Scrollsaw Blades (all types)(again can not have to many) 3 gross of blades (96 3-D, 96 5-D, 96 7-D Double Skip Blades; 48 5-R, 48 7-R, 48 9-R Reverse Skip blades)
[*:zof1jnb1]Scrolling Books (books for beginners, would like 11 of the same book) Donated Books
1 Spielman's"New Scroll Handbook" (would like a total of 11 of these please)
1 Spielman's "Scroll Saw Basics"
1 "Southwest Scroll Saw Patterns"
1 Scroll Saw Segmentation
[*:zof1jnb1]Small Finishing hammer 0 of 2
[*:zof1jnb1]Tool Box 0 of 2 (Must be able to accept a padlock)
[*:zof1jnb1]Dust Masks (Disposable, again can not have to many)
[*:zof1jnb1]Portable work benches (I am still undecided which direction to go with this suggestions please)
[*:zof1jnb1]Clamps 0 of 12
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/d ... mber=34387
[*:zof1jnb1]Safety Glasses 12 of 12
[*:zof1jnb1]Wood 20 sheets of 12 x 12 1/4" and 3/8" Birch ply
[*:zof1jnb1]0 Lowes Gift Cards (any dollar amount)
[*:zof1jnb1]0 Harbour Freight Gift Cards (any dollar amount)

That is all I can think of right now. I am sure I missed something. If you do send items please inform me what you send so I can keep track and let everyone know what I no longer need. Any help you can provide would be great.

Send Items to:

Okaloosa Youth Development Center

ATTN: Chris Messier

4449 Straightline Road

Crestview, FL 32539

To contact me please Post Here, PM Me, or E-mail me at Messmanswoodwoking@cox.net

Chris

I know this is not the ideal bench to use, but this is one of those times storage space is an overriding issue. But I am looking at these to use as "work Stations for each scrollsaw. I know that they are light weight and vibration will probably be an issue. But there are things at work I can use as weights on the bottom to help damper the vibrations. Plus cost is a big issue as well and at $20.00 each they are kind of hard to over look as a possibility.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/d ... mber=47844

What do you all think?

Chris

That's more or less what I use for my scroll saw. I have a Black & Decker bench, so I think it might be a little more heavy duty. But, basically the same thing. I use cheap harbor freight clamps to keep it mounted to the surface and I have a 2x4 under the back feet so it tilts a little forward. Just enough to make it easy to see, but not so much that my work slides off the saw.

I posted my setup below. Ignore the mess. ;)

That's more or less what I use for my scroll saw. I have a Black & Decker bench, so I think it might be a little more heavy duty. But, basically the same thing. I use cheap harbor freight clamps to keep it mounted to the surface and I have a 2x4 under the back feet so it tilts a little forward. Just enough to make it easy to see, but not so much that my work slides off the saw.

Travis thanks for the input on what I am looking at for the work stations. Someone has ordered 6 of them for me. Also I received the 2 books you sent, The New Scroll Saw Handbook and the Scroll Saw Work Book. Thank you so much. I think that the two of those books used in conjunction with each other should give me a good jumping point for creating the lesson plans I will need to make. You are a blesed saint. Again thank you so much.

Chris

Travis: That is the SAME Scroll Saw I had last year that I used 2x before it broke on me this past October.

I loved it all the way around except for the Tentioning Knob in the back.

The 45 Tilt left and right, The Light, The Blower and the Bigger Table.

Now since mine is Broken, i took it in for the Replacement Warrenty and got my Current Saw... I will take a Picture of it and post it...

I have someone who donated a new saw from Rockler. If you would like to help out with purchasing a saw Rockler has them on sale right now $64.99

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?Offe ... ct=Details

Chris

HI Chris what a wonderful project you have going on here i'm sure the kids will jump at the chance to enjoy this, though i thought i should inform you on this model saw. I bought this saw as my first scroll saw 4 years ago it was a really poorly thought out design built on a budget but anyway i bought the saw and after 4 hrs of use lost the first of many blade clamps the main weakness is that there cast iron clamps and dont hold the threads used for the metric bolts. while i had the saw i broke 11 clamps on the top side and 3 on the bottom. i also went through a few bolts so it will be good to have them on hand. i suggest getting a handful of the allen type metric machine screws rather then anything else also keep on hand a set of screw extractors or T-25 torc bits (star shaped) to remove old screw once they become striped. at the end of owning this saw it got to the point where i was changing the screws out about every 2 or 3 cuts to keep from striping out the the threads on the blade clamps. something i was going to have done was change to a different style clamp to hold the blade.where as this saw uses a actual clamp style i was going to go with the dewalt style which uses a set screw on the left side and thumb screw on the right side of the holder . take a look at the 3rd pic in this review page here its the best i could find but you should see what i mean

anyway just thought you should know about this issue from a past owner of this saw

blame

Ok everyone here is where I stand with the donations, or should I say here is what I still need to be dontated.

• [*:21kuo0ug] Cordless Drills 0 of 2
    [*:21kuo0ug] Small Drill Bits (can't have enough of them they will get broke fast) 0
    [*:21kuo0ug]Random Orbitial Sanders 1 of 3
    [*:21kuo0ug]Sand paper for sanders (again can't have too much) 220 grit 0 (200 sheets Donated)
    [*:21kuo0ug]Hearing Protection Ear Muff Style 0 of 12
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/d ... mber=43768 (1 box of Foam plugs donated)
[*:21kuo0ug]Needle files 0 of 2 sets
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/d ... number=468
[*:21kuo0ug]Scroll Saw Workbook 5 of 12
[*:21kuo0ug]Small Finishing hammer 0 of 2
[*:21kuo0ug]Tool Box 0 of 2 (Must be able to accept a padlock)
[*:21kuo0ug]Dust Masks (Disposable, again can not have to many)
[*:21kuo0ug]Portable work benches 6 of 12
[*:21kuo0ug]Clamps 0 of 12
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/d ... mber=96210
[*:21kuo0ug]Lowes Gift Cards (any dollar amount)
[*:21kuo0ug]Harbour Freight Gift Cards (any dollar amount)

Please consider donating. I have had the "Big Dollar" items donated, and we are down to the smaller items. Even if it is just one item, it would be a huge blessing. Specially if you donate a LOWES or Habor Freight Gift Card in any amount.

If you do send items please inform me what you send so I can keep track and let everyone know what I no longer need. Any help you can provide would be great.

Send Items to:

4449 Straightline Road

Crestview, FL 32539

To contact me please Post Here, PM Me, or E-mail me at Messmanswoodwoking@cox.net

To everyone who has donated something I thank you. Your donations have been extremely helpful. I am going to start the first class in 2 weeks.

Chris

Ok everyone here is where I stand with the donations, or should I say here is what I still need to be dontated.

Cordless Drills 0 of 2

Small Drill Bits (can't have enough of them they will get broke fast) 0

Random Orbitial Sanders 1 of 3

Sand paper for sanders (again can't have too much) 220 grit 0 (200 sheets Donated)

Hearing Protection Ear Muff Style 0 of 12

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/d ... mber=43768 (1 box of Foam plugs donated)

Needle files 0 of 2 sets

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/d ... number=468

Scroll Saw Workbook 5 of 12

Small Finishing hammer 0 of 2

Tool Box 0 of 2 (Must be able to accept a padlock)

Dust Masks (Disposable, again can not have to many)

Portable work benches 6 of 12

Lowes Gift Cards (any dollar amount)

Harbour Freight Gift Cards (any dollar amount)

Please consider donating. I have had the "Big Dollar" items donated, and we are down to the smaller items. Even if it is just one item, it would be a huge blessing. Specially if you donate a LOWES or Habor Freight Gift Card in any amount.

If you do send items please inform me what you send so I can keep track and let everyone know what I no longer need. Any help you can provide would be great.

Send Items to:

4449 Straightline Road

Crestview, FL 32539

To everyone who has donated something I thank you. Your donations have been extremely helpful. I am going to start the first class in 2 weeks.

Chris

Ok everyone here is where I stand with the donations, or should I say here is what I still needs to be dontated.

Cordless Drills 0 of 2

Small Drill Bits (can't have enough of them they will get broke fast) 0

Random Orbitial Sanders 1 of 3

Sand paper for sanders (again can't have too much) 220 grit 0 (200 sheets Donated)

Scroll Saw Workbook 5 of 12

Small Finishing hammer 0 of 2

Dust Masks (Disposable, again can not have to many)

Portable work benches 6 of 12

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/d ... mber=47844

Lowes Gift Cards (any dollar amount)

Harbour Freight Gift Cards (any dollar amount)

Please consider donating. I have had the "Big Dollar" items donated, and we are down to the smaller items. Even if it is just one item, it would be a huge blessing. Specially if you donate a LOWES or Habor Freight Gift Card in any amount, even if the amounts are only $5.00, every little bit helps.

Send Items to:

4449 Straightline Road

Crestview, FL 32539

To everyone who has donated something I thank you. Your donations have been extremely helpful. I am going to start the first class in 1 week.

Chris