Painting Sanded Plywood........HELP!

smitty0312

You are bound to get a better finish from a real brush. I use Purdy brand brushes that I find at Menards. I've used that brand for years. They're spendy but last a long time if you care for them. They make brushes for latex and oil based paints.

Here are a couple of tips that may help. I always dip my brushes in water (if using latex paint) or mineral spirits (if I'm using a oil based finish) before starting a project, when the brush is clean. It helps with the clean-up. Second, if I go in for lunch or something, I store the wet brushes in a damp rag (with water for latex and mineral spirits for oil finished) and a plastic bag. I've even done it overnight, but I don't think I'd recommend that.

Nice looking project!

I enjoy using an air brush for larger surfaces and good quality artist brushes for finer detail. There's nothing worse than using a brush that looses hair. For finishing I'll brush on three thin coats of polyurethane sanding in between each and finally applying a carpenters wax to give it that buttery finish. Time consuming but the end result is rewarding.

Well you said foam , so i'd go with the foam hot dog roller. The foam tools seem to let just the right amount of paint off for good coverage.Pluss you can squish them in the corners to flood some paint in the cracks and crevasses and roll again to pick up the excess.They are quick to use next to none waste and water clean up.The hot dog rollers are !" x4" about 5 bucks at the big box store and the clean up good like a sponge.I really like Ron's trick of carpenters wax for that oh so wow look! Keep it simple they always say!!! :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs::cool: