Pricing progects.

Jeffery

Hi all,

i would like to start selling my scroll saw art.

i am wondering, if you all could help me out here.

how much do you charge for your work ?

i dont want to under charge, to where it,s not worth doing, but also want pepole to buy my work, and not miss custermers due to high prices.

any info would be appreciated, tx and god bless Jeff.

Well, I can offer some general advice. If you have anything specific in mind, perhaps we can give you a better answer.

I think you should decide what your time is worth to you. Are you happy making $15/hr? $30/hr? Then based on that, figure out what it would cost to make your widget figuring in your time and material costs (material + 20%). When you come up with a number, compare it to what others sell similar items for locally. If others are selling it for more, raise your prices. If they're selling it for less, decide if you'd be willing to take less. If not, see if you can reduce your time or cost to get the widget price closer to the market price. There are many times where it just isn't worth your time to make that particular item. But there are many other items that you can make that has a nice profit margin.

Naturally custom work will cost more than items that can be "mass produced." Making several of one item is usually more time efficient than making them one at a time. If you do portrait style cuttings, be sure to stack cut your items so you get 3 or 4 copies. Other items, make jigs where possible to speed up production. Also keep an eye out on how to reduce material costs and any expendables.

And lastly, know who your customer is. Flea market folks won't pay $35 for a free standing puzzle, but a patron of an art museum would. Be sure to research your customers and what others are doing. Find someone who is doing well and copy them (their method, not their patterns). No need to re-invent the wheel.

Anyway, that's my two cents. If you have any specific questions, let us know. I bet we can all brainstorm some ideas. :)