YESTERDAYS CUTTINGS

ike

I used Olsen's blades which I have used for years and besides they are the only good blade sold around here as far as I know. other than  the Box store blades which is a

depart move. I just couldn't do any thing right. Making fire wood is not my gold, I can usually fix my mistakes but not yesterday

I used Olsen's blades which I have used for years and besides they are the only good blade sold around here as far as I know. other than  the Box store blades which is a

depart move. I just couldn't do any thing right. Making fire wood is not my gold, I can usually fix my mistakes but not yesterday

I have both Olson and Flying Dutchman blades. For whatever reason, i make much more firewood with the FD blades. Seems to be a control issue on my part. Don't have that problem with the Olson blades.

Lately I haven't used anything besides FD spirals I found ones you master them there is really no need for any straight blades except maybe if you have a lot of or a very long straight run then I may change to a straight blade, Just my opinion.

.../Hans

i have been hearing a lot of people say that...and after watching youtubes i may have to break down and try them.

Depending on thickness and material but generally on my DW788 I run at about a 4 for tightness I go 3-4 or tighter if i'm cutting a lot of straight lines.

Unlike straight blades the spirals are unforgiving when they have lost their edge I mean dull, don't force them on cause they'll make a mess. They will go left when you want to go right well to put it quite bluntly they'll do everything to tick you off. change them as soon as you notice strange things happening and check them often by grasping them between your thumb and forefinger you'll have to experiment with the feel, try a new blade then a dull blade you'll see what I mean. When you use the spiral try not to force the wood into the blade but rather let the blade pull the wood into it all you need to do is steer with very little pressure. When you see the blade dragging behind, the blade needs to catch up so just release your pressure. Make really sure that before you come to say a 90 degree turn that your blade is square and not dragging behind cause your not going to have a very sharp corner. Grab some scrap wood and practice Ike, once you master the spiral you'll rarely go back to straight blades.

.../Hans