portrait wood

john shankel

I don't cut a lot of portraits but when i do I usually cut with 1/8 or 1/4 inch BB ply. love to see some of your  work. any problems let us know because everyone can learn something new when someone give some information. Often I discover something I have never realized was even a problem for me until someone ask a question and another person gives them an answer. I find myself saying, "I didn't know that" , many times

Dick

heppnerguy

Hi, John,

I started using 1/4" Baltic Birch but, it became harder to find store bought frames that will accomodate the 1/4" so I

switched to 1/8". If it is not something that I can stack cut and have use for the extra portraits I just use some form

of scrap like old paneling to keep the 1/8" material from chipping.

God Bless! Spirithorse

I prefer the look of 1/8" BB ply, but cut 1/4" as well.  I don't think I would go much larger than 1/4", though.  If it's thicker, I think you lose some of the detail since the edge of the wood would cover the backer at certain angles (the backer really makes the portrait stand out so you can see the details).  The real trick with cutting 1/8" ply is to stack cut 2 or 3 pieces.  It gives you a lot more control over the blade.  Plus, you get 3 copies.  Even if you don't want the extra copies, I'd still stack cut just for the extra control.  It may seem wasteful, but the end product is well worth it.