Scroll saw Assctt of the world

kardar2

Hello, all,

I saw ad in a magazine for scroll saw association of the world so I went to the WIKI page and found it listed but no info. Do any of you belong to it ? I plan on selling my stuff next summer and thought that something like this would help find some shows. thank you for your input

I don't know much about them. Their website is very vague about what they have to offer. I think they have a publication and a vendor list they put out each year. There may be some advocacy services they offer, such as stopping copyright infringement (if someone is stealing your patterns and reselling it). It seems to be that they were a good group years ago when information was hard to find. But nowdays, with magazines, books, free communities, blogs, wikis, and podcasts, I'm not sure what they have to offer that would require a membership fee. Maybe just a vanity seal that says you belong to SAW, which could impress some folks.

The great thing about that site is going to all the picnic pictures and looking back over the years as to what patterns were hot at the time. Boy some of those bring back memories. I used to go to the Pennsylvania picnic every year and they were some good times. Great seeing first hand so many scrollers work. Lets you know where you rank amongst your peers. Have not been to one lately. They have somehow fallen off in attendence. But if you have never been to a picnic and one is in your area you owe it to yourself to attend.

Here's a rundown of what you get as a member. I think if you are a supplier (material or pattern designer), this would be a good group to belong to. Mostly to get into their directory. If you belong to a club or decide to start a club, I'm guessing they have the resource material to make it easier. Plus you get listed in their directory, which will make it easier to find members.

I bet they have a really nice directory of suppliers, pattern designers, organizations, guilds and soforth. I wouldn't mind taking a peek at that. I'm sure there's a lot of value there.

You get a quarterly newsletter (sometimes with patterns, but that's not their intention). It might have some good articles, especially the business side of the scrolling. But it looks like its focused on SAW members, events, and local chapters. You can request a copy of SAWdust newsletter for $5 (which is returned when you become a member).

Their picnics are suppose to be really cool. I've always wanted to attend one. They look like a lot of fun. SAW members receive a discount to SAW related events, including picnics. They also sponsor contests and offer scholarships to high-school students.

I'm not sure what kind of communication or community it has outside of local chapters, though. At one time they had forums, but shut down due to low participation.

I can't say much about the group since I never belonged to it. It looks to me as if it's really designed to support clubs and professionals. It would be great to find someone willing to tell the rest of us what its all about. Shoot, I'd be willing to check the place out and report back if they extend me a free membership! (nudge nudge, wink wink) :lol:

Information about SAW can be found on the website at http://www.saw-online.com By clicking on the 'About SAW' tab, you will get a drop down box showing SAW's History, it's Purpose and Goals and the Benefits of SAW membership. Under the "Join SAW now" Tab, you may join using PayPal or print out the registration form and mail it to the Home Office with your check. You will notice some greyed out tabs on the website. Those are for members only and you will be given access to them when you receive your membership packet. Hope this information helps your forum members. I will continue to monitor the postings for further questions.

I look forward to meeting folks from the various forums at the SAW EXPO in 2010.