Picture frames

Sparkey

Roly ,i think a biscuit in the corners will do the same thing,Thanks now i need to buy the biscuit tool again i lost from the recesson i never used! :cool:

Funny you should say that I have a biscuit jointer and have never thought of using biscuits for framing and I've been using my table saw to make the slots and cutting pieces to fit. I'm going to try that one. Kevin thanks for reminding me what tools I have. lol  :thumbs: 

DW, what sort of locking layer is it in your design?

Keith

I cut the facing of the frame with exactness so that it fits the way I want it to.  The middle layer sets the grove that the art piece fits into as well as overlaps the 45's from the face.  The last layer sets the final depth of the grove and overlaps the middle layer joints.  It is a very strong frame when done however it does take some planning.

DW

I cut the facing of the frame with exactness so that it fits the way I want it to.  The middle layer sets the grove that the art piece fits into as well as overlaps the 45's from the face.  The last layer sets the final depth of the grove and overlaps the middle layer joints.  It is a very strong frame when done however it does take some planning.

DW

Ok DW now you have my attention do you have a picture because I can't picture it in my mind of what your doing. Roly

I have used some corner brackets, but they are not real strong but one day will try the v nails and see if they are any better. THe one I made for the John Wayne portrait I scrolled did not stay together so out it went. Grrr.... I've tried glue but it did not stay together that way either. I hear the v nails are better.   Fay

I make picture frames, but I've never used a v-nailer. If I use a miter joint on a frame, and think it needs re-enforcement I've generally made a spline although I have used a finish nailer from the edge. I sure can see the advantages of a v-nailer especially when you are trying to crack out stuff for a sale. Here a version of a v-nailer that different from the hammer driven type

Clearly they work and aren't a major investment. Remember life is too short for cheap tools;-)

Let us know which one you select and how you like it.