New Toy

Travis

I bought a new toy last night. :) I'm starting to manufacture a few games for my buddy's store and I needed a stationary belt sander. So I dipped into my lathe fund ( :cry: ) and got this; a Ridgid Oscillating Spindle/Belt Sander. You can find them at Home Depot for $199. It doubles both as a oscillating belt sander and a spindle sander. The change-over is really quick and easy. So far I'm pretty happy with it. I'm especially excited to use it on scroll saw projects (toys, puzzles, candle holders, etc), but I think it will work well for all kinds of woodworking. I've read reviews from other woodworkers and many really like the machine. I'm going to give 'er a workout this weekend and I'll do a full review later. Until then, you can check out the details here.

thumb_spindlesander.JPGthumb_beltsander.JPG

Travis,

Nice new addition to the workshop. I have had one of these units for about 4 years. Unless changes have been made to the newer models, a word of advice. Do not over tighten the table adjustment knobs on each side. On mine, it caused stress cracks in the housing. Did not cause a problem with the operation of the machine or the leveling of the table, however I did not like it when I saw the small cracks. The machine has worked well for me. Found the Home Depot in my area had a sale on replacement tubes for the spindle and I purchased 6 packages of the sanding tubes for $5.00 each. I do not think that I will ever use them all.

Again, congrats.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...