Giraffe intarsia for grand daughter

heppnerguy

Although I have made a few intarsia pieces, I still struggle with the glueing and finishing part. Because I still have not been able to figure all this out, I would much rather cut scroll pieces, but my family really likes the intarsia, so I try to make them what they want. Keep all this in mind as you view my giraffe intarsia that I cut from a Judy Roberts pattern. My cuttings went together really nice and tight until I started gluing them. Thankfully, my family does not see the wonderful pieces that Lee and Homer Bishop do and several other talente members that dwelve into intarsia, so they have no one else to compare my work with and they all think that I know what I am doing,  so  shhhhh. don't tell them and I can continue to make them pieces that they think are really nice. We will just keep it our secret, here in The Village,  ;)  I know the photo is not very good but it is what it is, sorry about that

Dick

heppnerguy

post-2238-0-93137700-1413486493_thumb.png

Absolutely fantastic, Dick,

If you are really having problems glueing up the cut pieces (which isn't evident in this project at all)

I would suggest you glue the pieces together on wax paper with ordinary carpenter's glue.

By glueing on the wax paper, it allow you some time to rearrange pieces if it appears you are

getting any gaps or pieces are shifting. If you are using hot melt glue or CA (super glue), you don't allow yourself

that time to move pieces before they are bonded tightly. (After the pieces have dried, it is a simple process to

move the pieces to glue them onto the backer-board.)

Also, just a suggestion about the way I like to view patterns like this one.

I would have shimmed up the tree on the left 1/8", shimmed the tree on the right 1/4", and

shimmed the entire giraffe 3/8" (possibly even shimming the giraffe's head an additional 1/8" from the neck.

This gives added levels for a 3D look that I personally like.

You can add and remove shims to see what suits your eye before glueing anything.

This is all being said presuming you begin with 3/4" stock. The shims would have to be re-sized if

you are using a thinner stock back-ground to make sure none of the shims are showing above the

first layer.

Thanks for showing your magnificent project. I am sure your grand-daughter loved it.

God Bless! Spirithorse

That looks to be a TOP NOTCH job to me. If I had the decor to go with it in my house I would proudly display this piece in a place of honor.

It will be special to your Granddaughter not only because it is a wonderful piece of work but also because her Grandfather made it. Keep up the good work! :thumbs:  :thumbs: :thumbs:  :thumbs:  :thumbs: