Latest Projects for my November Shows

DWSUDEKUM

This puzzle was cut from 1/4 Baltic Birch and has over 150 pieces ( did not stop to count them )

cd110314_005.jpg

This bowl was cut from Sapele and poplar.  It is 6 inches long x 6 wide.  Finished with Tung Oil and Shellac.

cd110314_007.jpg

cd110314_008.jpg

cd110314_010.jpg

This is a Steve Good pattern.  I cut at least one every year for my November shows.  The wood is Sapele and Pine.  Sealed with Tung Oil and topcoated with Shellac.

cd110314_012.jpg

This ornament was thought of by Harmony on the Scroll Saw Woodworking and crafts forum.  There is no pattern I saw it asked Harmony for permission to use the idea and made this one.  Cut from 3/4 pine the bird is from Diane Thompsons birdhouse patterns but enlarged to fit the trailer.  The perch and tongue leveler are bamboo skewers.  Finish is Shellac.

cd110314_013.jpg

DW

Beautiful work DW. Will tung oil or BLO give a shine like that w/o the shellac? I ask because those bowls are fantastic!

Tung Oil and BLO work by slowly building up and filling the pores of the wood grain.  If you have ever spit shined a pair of boots you have the same situation.  As the pores get filled up you can get a shine on it.  Personally I just use the Tung Oil to do a couple of things for me.  One - Seal the wood so that the real finish does not soak into it as much. Two Tung Oil darkens and brings out the grain pattern a bit.  By sealing the wood you can top coat it with shellac or lacquer or Poly with little difficulty.  The problem with either Tung or BLO is that it can take a long time to finish getting hard, sometimes years that is why I use it to seal and then top coat.

DW

Really love the bowl!

Tutorial for us slow learners would be very nice! You might nave to email me a link to it; so, I do NOT miss it!

Great Work! The trailer is neat, too.

Did you transfer, or paste the picture for the puzzle?

The picture was printed up with a color laser ( Kinko's / Fedex ) on heavy brochure photo stock then glued.  I put a heavy sticky spray glue on both the picture ( back side of course :)) and the board then carefully adhere the picture to the board making sure there are no air bubbles.  I then give it a couple of days to sit - this helps ensure that all the solvents have evaporated out. Six very light coats of lacquer seals the picture.  I wait another couple of days then cut .  

I will work on a tutorial for the bowl making. They really are not that hard to make.

DW 

It's a beautifully cut puzzle.

The bowl, well it's outstanding in color and finish. I'd like to try one.

Your combining sapele and pine/poplar is a great match.

The trailer for the bird is cute.

Larry making bowls is not real difficult.  Cutting the rings takes a little practice as you are cutting on an angle however it is one of those things that comes fairly quickly.  I use http://www.scrollmania.com/polydraw.html a lot of times to work up the shape of the bowl.  As for the wood choices... well... that is really just me exploring a what would happen if....... I started off making bowls from Carole Rothman's book and branched off from there.  Getting the angle to drill is not too difficult now that we have a scientific calculator built into our computers.  You just have to know the ring thickness and the thickness of the wood you are going to use.  Also there is this calculator - http://www.scrollmania.com/AngleCalc.html that will do the necessary calculations to get the drill angle.

DW