About 100 years ago............

scrimper

(This might be a bit boring to you, I wanted to share the picture but felt I ought to explain the story behind it. I apologise in advance if this is not the place to post this.)

My grandfather was a very keen Fretworker, he actually taught Fretwork in his local town to youngsters who wanted to learn what was a craze in those days.

He made lots of items inc the exquisite Handicrafts Lords Prayer design and a huge model of Nelsons column, all of these have disappeared and I only have one small item that he made which is illustrated below. This small item was made by my grandfather around 100 years ago using a treadle fretsaw, it was kept hidden away by my father for over 60+ years who gave it to me to keep just before he died at the age of 93.

I only knew my grandfather in his older years, he suffered badly in WW1, he suffered with shell shock and fever whilst fighting on the Somme, my dad who also did fretwork  served 5 years in WW2, so in comparison I feel I have been lucky not to have been sent away to fight.

I know it's not much but it is very precious to me and hopefully my grandson will treasure this one day.

post-1975-0-09160400-1415106852_thumb.jpg

John.

Looks like they have clogs on I  wonder where the pattern came from, do you have any of his old patterns from Granddad because that would be good to look through all the old patterns and perhaps cut a few. lovely cut thanks for sharing that. Roly

Edited by Phantom Scroller

I would say bragging rights is defiantly the place to post this one! It is a very special piece and the history behind it would make it priceless to your family. Make sure if it goes in storage to put your favorite cutting that you make with it so your great grandson or daughter will know just what a treasure they have got when they read and admire it. :thumbs:  :thumbs: :thumbs:  :thumbs:  :thumbs:  

John.

Looks like they have clogs on I  wonder where the pattern came from, do you have any of his old patterns from Granddad because that would be good to look through all the old patterns and perhaps cut a few. lovely cut thanks for sharing that. Roly

The design came from either Hobbies or Handicrafts it was sold as a wooden greetings card. Annoyingly only a few days ago I was browsing through my old magazines and I saw a page with this and other similar designs on, I don't mean the actual design but a page advertising them. I can't remember whether it was a Hobbies or handicrafts magazine. I will find it again in due course. I have hundreds of old patterns some of which are in very poor condition that I am trying to resurrect and save. My ambition is to put them on-line so that others can save them too and the patterns won't die.

We have to remember that in those days they did not have copiers or anything and patterns were often pasted on the wood for cutting thus sacrificing the original pattern, My father always used carbon paper and traced the pattern on the wood to keep the pattern but some designs were so complex that was not feasible. I imagine too a lot of patterns were probably destroyed in the two world wars or perhaps a young fretworker went off to fight and never returned thus his patterns might have been scrapped by relatives with little interest in fretwork. Some of the old patterns I have may be the only ones? 

What is needed is some sort of online pattern library where patterns could be saved for posterity. 

He did some great work!  It would be nice to be able to see other things he did.

Sadly this is the only piece of fretwork that my grandfather did that remains but I know of other things he made.

I have the picture below that shows my father using my grandfathers Hobbies Imperial Fretsaw, I don't know the exact date but estimate it to be between 1924-1927.

post-1975-0-28296600-1415180572_thumb.jpg

The other photo of your father scrolling is intriguing, the scrolled items on the board, were they scrolled by your father or grandfather? I love the moon, top left.

Marg

That is one question we can never be sure about, He passed away in 2006 and I can't remember whether I asked him nor if I did what his reply was. I know my grandfather gave fretwork lessons and I know my dad was a really accomplished fretworker so it's likely he made them all but I can not say for sure. When my dad was a lad there was not much to do in your spare time so I imagine he spent many hours with the fretsaw.

John a great story and you are privileged to be part of the scrolling family, if you want to put patterns anywhere here's a good place to start if you need any help I have access to a A3 & A4 scanner on my desk at work and a A4 at home which can turn paper patterns into JPEG's for you computer for free and you can put them on a mobile hard drive and take them with you everywhere and pass them on to the next lucky scroller in the family, so don't be afraid to ask if you need my help. Roly

John a great story and you are privileged to be part of the scrolling family, if you want to put patterns anywhere here's a good place to start if you need any help I have access to a A3 & A4 scanner on my desk at work and a A4 at home which can turn paper patterns into JPEG's for you computer for free and you can put them on a mobile hard drive and take them with you everywhere and pass them on to the next lucky scroller in the family, so don't be afraid to ask if you need my help. Roly

Roly, Thanks for the offer however I recently bought myself an Epson A3 WF-7610DWF scanner/printer for just that purpose, it seems brilliant and ideal for what I want. I am in the process of scanning and repairing some of the old patterns using Photoshop, some of the patterns are in a bad way with the paper fragile and crumbling but I actually enjoy restoring them. I want to save them before they deteriorate further.

Below is part of one early Handicrafts pattern I am working on at the moment (now) This is just one of 8 sections of the pattern and is in A3 format!

As you cab see from the second scan it is getting better.It was in small A5 sections from where it perished on the folds.

post-1975-0-77760700-1415219339_thumb.jpg

post-1975-0-75487800-1415219359_thumb.jpg

Roly, Thanks for the offer however I recently bought myself an Epson A3 WF-7610DWF scanner/printer for just that purpose, it seems brilliant and ideal for what I want. I am in the process of scanning and repairing some of the old patterns using Photoshop, some of the patterns are in a bad way with the paper fragile and crumbling but I actually enjoy restoring them. I want to save them before they deteriorate further.

Below is part of one early Handicrafts pattern I am working on at the moment (now) This is just one of 8 sections of the pattern and is in A3 format!

As you cab see from the second scan it is getting better.It was in small A5 sections from where it perished on the folds.

Brilliant can't beat the old photoshop, nice scanner as well. Have fun. Roly

I love this story, I hope that some of the things that I give to friends and family member are around long after I am gone and then my grandkids can tell their children. " That was made especially for me, by your great grandfather"  They too might cherish my  poor talents in a way similar to the way you cherish the piece your grandfather made. Lots of  talent, like your grandfather or little talent like mine, it is 'who' made it that makes it a cherished item to our future family

Dick

heppnerguy