Help! Newbie with Sick Saw

Laura Sanders

I have a Shop Fox scroll saw that I've been using occasionally for about 3 months.  This morning I replaced a blade and ran into trouble.  Initially, the saw would start but with a pause ... as if it was taking a deep breath before moving.  Instead of my usually babababa sound, it was more hmmmmmmmmmbabababa.  It ran okay with no blade, or on a high speed.  I stopped and cleaned the whole thing carefully, looked for any obvious problems, but it only got worse.  Now there's a long pause before motion at any speed with an unhappy sound.  Now I'm letting some oil soak into the arm bushings, but I'm not optimistic.

I live in Bamako, Mali, so taking the saw to the "shop" is not an option.  I'll have to fix it myself or probably lose a month getting a new one -- and it's almost Christmas, so the timing is terrible.  Please help!

I was using an older Dremel 2 speed before I got my Excaliber, and it would occasionally do the same thing. It had bushings instead of bearings in the arm, and after letting oil soak into them overnight it would run fine for several months before needing it again. If it's not the brushes, soak the bushings at least overnight.

SOUNDS LIKE YOU HAVE A BAD CONTACT .some where ,may have been the brushes were mis-alligned ,I was a field service engr. for 30 yrs.If I had a nickle for every time I fixed at least temporaly ,and had no idea what I did to do it ,I wouldn't be as poor as I am today ! irradic- non constant issues are are the devil in the detail ,can drive you to distraction !! Glad you stumbled on to it maybe it will hold till after the holidays.

• 2 months later...

if you have any more problems take a air hose and blow into the brush opening. Don't go a full 120 lbs. just enough to make any dirt come out, some times a dirty armature will dot that, I worked in a motor manufacturing shop for 27 years

Edited by ike