New man pants

thatknobtony

Holy cow guys, I finally got my first pair of man pants. The wife called me to the local hardware store and to my great surprise she got me a de Walt 788. It was wonderful. Drove home through the middle of town and had a one truck parade. Blowing kisses and waving hello. Didn't cut anything yet, everything was blurry looking through the tears and blowing my nose. It's moved me up a notch that's for sure. I have all kinds of pinned blades but the son has been showing an interest. Any help with the care of the saw will be heeded for sure now. Tony

You will like the saw very much!

Throw the light away and get a different kind to avoid bad language when the bulb blows and you do not have one!

Get one that takes standard bulb bases or a full LED with the magnifier! They are great!

If you need blades and only have the pin end--the pins knock right out and the blades still cut!

The allen screws on the back side f the blade clamps can sometimes need to be re-set to get the blades square with the table and each end! Use a thread locker of the removable type when you do this!

Congratulations!

Make sure the table is set at 90 degrees with a compass or other method. 

Then look at the table tilt guage. See how close they match.

Wax the table before you use it and wax frequently.

Check and tighten all screws/bolts.

Keep the sawdust under control...if that is possible with a new saw. 

Congradulations on the upgrade!A foot switch and light are tops for the list,I angle the back of my saw up 1 foot.You can see the pattern better , have less neck pain,Helps you keep your posture straighter.Lock tite the 2 bolts under the front of the saw table as they vibrate out.take out the top blade holder bolt and grease it with heavy grease as it wears out fast if your an avid scroller,not a weekend warrior,lol. Yeah the lights the first thing i got rid of.I put formica on the saw table and it never needs waxing and is very slippery with wood on it.Get a 2" machinest metal square and put a magnet on the saw leg as you need it offen when angleing the table or doing puzzles.5 is a good speed to go no higher than .mine is wore out a year ago and if im above 5 it knocks,Enjoy your new toy but make time for the wife too,60 40 is good,lol

My suggestion is to visit Rick Hutchesons website - http://www.scrollsaws.com/ He has a lot of good information on your new big yeller.  Congratulations btw.  You will notice a huge difference right away.  Above all keep visiting here and ask questions.... we love to give advice hehe.  Visit Mikes Workshop - in my opinion he is the person to go to about blades - http://www.mikesworkshop.com/ Looking forward to seeing what you make with your new 788.

DW

Holy cow guys, I finally got my first pair of man pants. The wife called me to the local hardware store and to my great surprise she got me a de Walt 788. It was wonderful. Drove home through the middle of town and had a one truck parade. Blowing kisses and waving hello. Didn't cut anything yet, everything was blurry looking through the tears and blowing my nose. It's moved me up a notch that's for sure. I have all kinds of pinned blades but the son has been showing an interest. Any help with the care of the saw will be heeded for sure now. Tony

Careful Tony, mind you don't wet the new MAN PANTS with EXCITEMENT :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol: . Take all the advice you're getting here and above all ENJOY the new toy. Oh!! and give your wife a big hug too. :roll:  :roll: .

Rob Roy.