3-D elephant

Multifasited

Kevin ,No sir ,the wood is a home grown resawn red cedar log ,I did last yr on the xy bandsaw ,it was all done  on the scroll saw raised tapered cut and shaping was done with foredom and dremel flex shafts in my DIY dust free shaping cabinet next to my scrollsaw .Hand painted and clear coated w/ a rattle can .Very similar to my raised signs .and the smaller elephant .posted previously ! all one stepped pc. of cedar !  All shaped sets, at differing depths by differing angles of the cuts .marked at protrusion depth ,then additional shapeing & sanding done to and from the reference lines .No manual tools were used ,more like a multifasited mortise ,with detail attempting to pretend to be a relief carving ,another test ,before going for multiple elevations and details combined to make a total scene  . Probabaly better described as 3-D segmentation !!

Edited by Multifasited

Kevin ,No sir ,the wood is a home grown resawn red cedar log ,I did last yr on the xy bandsaw ,it was all done  on the scroll saw raised tapered cut and shaping was done with foredom and dremel flex shafts in my DIY dust free shaping cabinet next to my scrollsaw .Hand painted and clear coated w/ a rattle can .Very similar to my raised signs .and the smaller elephant .posted previously ! all one stepped pc. of cedar !  All shaped sets, at differing depths by differing angles of the cuts .marked at protrusion depth ,then additional shapeing & sanding done to and from the reference lines .No manual tools were used ,more like a multifasited mortise ,with detail attempting to pretend to be a relief carving ,another test ,before going for multiple elevations and details combined to make a total scene  . Probabaly better described as 3-D segmentation !!

A very nice HEFFELUMP Carl, (sorry I've been playing with my Grandson) :lol:  :lol: . I wish I could get my hands on some of that lovely Cherry you have as a backer. Cherry is about as abundant as rocking horse poo here and quite expensive when you do find some. Anyway Carl, a very nice piece and thanks for sharing it with us. A man of many talents shall we say.

I hope you and the "boss" are keeping well and the weather is not too cold. Hope you managed to keep the leaves out of the fish pond too. Take care.

Rob Roy.

post-22372-0-99537700-1415631625_thumb.jpgpost-22372-0-43474900-1415631672_thumb.jpgpost-22372-0-44588600-1415631704_thumb.jpg

A very nice HEFFELUMP Carl, (sorry I've been playing with my Grandson) :lol:  :lol: . I wish I could get my hands on some of that lovely Cherry you have as a backer. Cherry is about as abundant as rocking horse poo here and quite expensive when you do find some. Anyway Carl, a very nice piece and thanks for sharing it with us. A man of many talents shall we say.

I hope you and the "boss" are keeping well and the weather is not too cold. Hope you managed to keep the leaves out of the fish pond too. Take care.

Rob Roy.

Dear Rob Roy !   I should have posted a picture of the back along with the front ,My attempts to explain things ,some time lack clarity. I hope these new ones will be better .I still have a good stock of this resawn red Cedar ,this is 3/4' thick stock .One piece as you can see from the back pix. . The BOSS and I are keeping the local pharmacy ( Fat and Happy ,along with a few Drs. Busy !) The pond framed netting is in place ,Just in time ,Bumper crop of leaves starting to fall with a vengance. Your Grand son is the perfect one to put on the phone with the tele-marketer ,then you both could Enjoy the interuption .Still able to get in a game of golf as the temp.gets above 55 ,mid day . I don't normally use a backer board on these projects  some times I glue on a piece of black felt ,and add a hanger just to keep the mystery alive .MY BEST to you and Yours ,Stay safe ! Carl