Delta 40-694

Tdub4ever

Have any of you scrollers used the Delta 40-694 scroll saw? They have one for $399 on Amazon and I've read most reveiws and it seems like a very good saw. I know it's Delta's version of the 788. Any pro's and con's would be helpful. I want to order it today, but don't want to rush into anything. I might have to put my 788 in the shop and I need a good saw to finish my Christmas orders with.

I have the 40-690 which is the 788 clone.  The 40-694 looks the same but has different part numbers.  The 690 and 788 have the same part numbers.

I have had the 690 since apr 2012.  Been and still is a great saw for me. 

Here is link to manual. 

http://www.deltamachinery.com/downloads/manuals/scroll_saws/40-694/40-694_Scroll_Saw_Manual_E-S.pdf

Here is info I posted on these in April:

I have the Delta 40-690 which is the DW788 clone – almost identical except the 690 has Delta on it and its painted gray. When you look at the manual for the 690 and 788 the part numbers are the same. And at ereplacementparts, if they have part for one, they have part for the other. (Maybe when DeWalt and Delta were together they designed the 690 to get rid of all the 788 parts they had on hand and thought they would never get rid of because they last so good??)

The 694 is a 690 with changes. The 694 arm will stay up without assistance and some type of “box†was added on the left side. Some of the parts may be the same but the 694 has total different part numbers. Parts list from ereplacementparts show they have a fairly good selection of parts. I have added link to 40-695 parts – believe you will find that the 695 is a 694 with light and stand included when purchased?)

40-695 (40-694 w/stand and light)
Delta 40-695 Parts List and Diagram - (Type 1) : eReplacementParts.com

40-690
Delta 40-690 Parts List and Diagram - (Type 1) : eReplacementParts.com

DW788
DeWALT DW788 Parts List and Diagram - Type 1 : eReplacementParts.com

Larry

Edited by JustLarry

Good input Larry, but let me caution you on one of your points. That being the tightening of the bolt to get the arm to stay in the up position. I read that you should NOT do that because it will cause premature wear on that bearing. It is not designed to be tightened like you are doing. I would suggest that instead of tightening that bolt you, instead just use a 2 X 4 board to hold up the saw arm between cuts. Does not harm the bearing but leaves both hands free when you are threading the blade onto a new hole. It is your saw and I am not intending to tell you how to use your own saw, just passing along the information that I learned from a source. I would much rather take a moment to place a piece of wood under the saw arm instead of replacing a bearing. 

Dick

heppnerguy

I saw that cute little guy too but I think it would be a little bit more work to use than a 14 inch 2 X 4 for a couple of reasons.

1. it would take more time to position it due to the fact that it is so small and you also  need to make sure you always have it in the correct position on the saw.

2. You would need to be sure you placed it in the same spot beside the saw between the times you were using it.

3. You also would need to watch how you picked it up each time so that it would be easy to place on the correct way on your saw

4; The 2 X 4 can be placed anywhere under the saw arm and you don't need to even give it a thought as you use it

5  The 2 X 4 is always handy and can be put under the saw arm without much more than a quick glance.

This is  my take. I have been using my 2 X 4 for probably 3 years and it is almost automatic and I am able to use it without even giving it a thought. Even the easy lift arm, I can not see, could make it much easier of quicker to use

I hope this helps others

Dick

heppnerguy

Got it today! After watching some videos and reading some reviews, I thought I was going to have to basically put the whole saw together. The only thing I had to do was put the table on. The air hose was already attached. I guess they've added a push pin to hold the arm up, someone had said something about tightening a screw to hold it up and another said use a 2 x 4. This saw has a push pin to hold it up. Gotta go see how it cuts!!

post-1875-0-96878000-1416515863_thumb.jpg

post-1875-0-72665600-1416515872_thumb.jpg

post-1875-0-47947500-1416515880_thumb.jpg