what you can make out of one two by four

Around the corner

Heres a project I made this summer.Our woodworking club challenged us to make something out of one two by four with no nails or dowelsonly glue and any machine used so I put my scrollsaw talent to use and these silouettes came out of it copying a picture of a women in a scrollsaw magazine making cards in wood,Was a great challenge.We were supposed to exchange but I said my wife wants them.post-23657-0-35686500-1416106788_thumb.jpg They stand about thirty inches high  by seven wide done with a spiral blade.The board was cut in half glued together side by side in 3 segements sanded then scrolled  from a picture using rapid resizer and sanded again then base attached.Took me about 6-8 hours from start to finish

Those are pretty cool. If they are 2 x 4s cut in half and you used a spiral blade to cut them, what size spiral did you use? I've tried using spirals on 1/2" and they don't work. I either had to use a large spiral which wasn't able to cut any fine detail, or use a small spiral which wasn't able to cut the wood. I have a cople projects I'd like to do in 1/2" with a spiral so I'm interested in knowing how you acheived those great pieces!