Simple chicken :)

kkrunde

That looks good, nice straight lines. Would that saw happen to be a SC164VS the chicken is sitting on? I used one of those saws for years, I loved it. Actually I used it up until October of last year, then I bought the DeWalt 788. THe only problem I ever had with it was the tension rod, it wasn't made from very good material and had to replace a few times.

Thank you all for the compliments and suggestions!

Yes Don, that is exactly what this scroll saw is!  I like it, but I can't keep the silly drop foot in place.  Every time I pull the wood out, it falls because the tightening knob comes loose.  This was the best I could afford for now, but maybe one day I will have a nicer one, but for now I'm THRILLED and so thankful to have this one :)

Kelly you have definite signs of scroll mania. It is truly fun to find out that you can take a normal piece of wood and create all these fun and wonderful things. You are correct to start off with some of the simple designs but soon you will be obliged to see if you can possibly do that more complicated patterns you have your eye on. and guess what ? if it is not a really delicate piece, you probably with find that you can make it. you will then find that you will be pushing your skill level and meeting challenges that today you may  think is way way off in your future but really is not that far away. Even people who have been scrolling for a long time, still doubt their abilities that if they only gave it a try, they would find they could achieve what seems like the impossible.

Dick

heppnerguy

They look great! I had the same problem with the "foot" on my Ryobi. I'd push it up. tighten the knob and it would work loose. I just put some electrical tape around it and that took care of that. There wasn't enough clearance to remove it al together. :)

Edited by Kragax

Marg, when I used the Ryobi and removed the foot it was very hard to control the wood. It jumped around too much. I never understood why someone would remove it. Then when I started using the 788 and removed the foot, I thought, "so this is what they ment". It is a completely different machine. I haven't used the foot on my 788, but you really have to on the Ryobi. Or at least I had to. I could not control the wood at all without it.

Edited by Tdub4ever

Kelly that looks great.  Here is a thought about the chicken.  What would happen if you cut a couple of small chicks from the base of the body of the chicken.  Kinda like a nesting puzzle.  7a3dfbd1996bea6cb1cbf67e513cd037.jpg some thing like this perhaps.

Kelly most scrollers I know have removed that foot as it is generally a PITA.  You will soon get used to holding the working piece without it.  You are doing great keep up the good work.  Just a word of caution though about cutting MDF the sawdust from it is not good for you so please wear a dust mask when cutting and sanding it.  Thanks for sharing your work with us.

DW

Thanks everyone!  I did try removing the foot but then I had two problems.... no blower (because it is attached to the foot) and the wood, like Don said, bounces around like crazy!  It probably isn't the best scroll saw, but I didn't have the funds to get a better one.  I am very thankful to have this one.  Hubby is at stage 5 kidney failure and on dialysis 6 days a week, he worked for 2 years on dialysis, but in June his body just gave up the fight to go and do work (he built helicopters, which is very physical and his job was an hour from home), so we are surviving on his disability checks, which I'm sure you all know isn't much.  I do a patchwork of jobs to try and make ends meet, but since the bulk of my time is taken up taking care of Hubby (I took a class for 4 weeks to be his dialysis "tech" and I set up the machine, run it, take care of him, all from home 6 days a week, which takes me about 36 hours just to do the dialysis and then there are countless doctor appointments to go to).  I got back into wood working because I wanted to make my grandson some Christmas gifts, but I'm also hoping to make some small things to sell.  One day, I hope to save enough money to get a better one, because I'm having way too much fun to ever give up this hobby :)

Love the nesting puzzle idea DW.  I saw there is a puzzle blade, don't have one of those, is there another blade that can do the same type of cutting?

Thanks again!

depending on the size ,thickness of wood is what will determine the right puzzle blade for you.I 3/4 wood a #5or#7 will work .for very young kids a little bigger so the pieces go together with out struggeling.on 1/4" wood any #2 blade should work for you .Doing puzzles you need to make absolute sure the blade is square to the table .Other wise the puzzle pieces won't come apart or go together.If you don't have a square small enough 2" is perfect use a index card 2" x 2"or a credit card or a business card will work for you.put the square next to the blade to check for being plumb.