Scroll Saws

Savannah Scroller

Hey ,

I am ready to upgrade to a Top Class Scroll Saw up to $ 1000.00

I cannot make up my mind which one to buy.

Right now its between the Excalibur ex-21 $899.99 , the Delta Q3 - no price , Delta p20- no price , Delta 40-694- est. $400.00

Dewalt 788 20in Est. 580.00

Any advice would be appreciated . I want the easyest blade change system as well as vibration free and smooth cutting -of course.

I have been on several web sites and everyone gives different opions.

I hope to get to know everyone better.

Thanks

I've had the DeWalt and now have the Ex 21.  I love my Ex but I'm really not sure it is $400 worth better.  I had no problems with the DeWalt while I had it.  Although I have already used my Excalibur more in the few months I've had it than I did the DeWalt which I had for many years.  I do like the tension lever on the Ex better and the upper arm raises a couple inches higher than the DeWalt did.  It is a little quieter and a little less vibration.

What kind of a car do you drive ,ROLLS OR CHEVY OR TOYOTA  .i KNOW PEOPLE THAT DRIVE A RATTLE TRAP BUT NEED A Browning shot Gun .Others drive a Sadies and used pawn shop Mossberg .Both  seem happy .I quess it's personal importance ,both get game ,I doubt there any difference in taste . And like Vinnies Future wife says ,she doubts the game cares what the S.O.B. that shot it ,was using for agun or what he was wearing ! 

I've wore out a dozen saws ,chinese and craftsman.Now i'm sold on dewalts.I've wore one of them out and the second one too but i keep the second one limping just fine with regreaseing the  whole machinre where i can and replace one broken bolt.Quite as a kitten and tight as a drum.I have a brand new dewalt for back up but it's a type 2, never try one.I do an extreme amount of scrolling and mostly 3/4" plywood.

Edited by amazingkevin

I have two older DW788's in my shop.  I love them.  One has thousands of hours on it.  It could use some work but it runs fine.  If I had to buy a new saw today I would get an EX-21.  ONLY because of the quality issues that seem to plague the new DW788's.  But before I paid for a new I would be watching Craigslist for a gently used DW788.  They are out there if you watch and wait.

The best scroll saw I bought was a Craftsman I bought in the early 80"s. I wore it out I 2012,( I paid $250 for it) I looked at the Craftsman's and they didn't show me much not near what I had before. So I bought a Porter Cable kept it for a year and it wore out it was still under warranty but I junked it any way. I now have a DW 788 It is a good saw had a little problem with it but it was fixed under warranty I guess I would recommend  the DW788

Unlike ike I still have my first scrollsaw--it has run on homemade parts for 55 or so years now. It is still working; although very little. I bought a DW 788 about3-1/3 or so years ago now. Good saw, I cut a lot of hardwood name=plates etc.

It is a very good saw in the price range!.

My experience with the DeWalt saw was short lived.  It died just out of warranty at twenty months.  I then bought a Hegner. That was in 2008.  Since then a friend of mine replaced his DeWalt motor five times.  The DeWalt is a great cutting saw but most any saw with brushed motors will not stand up to hard usage.  My friend and I use our saws to cut 3/4" - 1 3/4" stock and this is hard on this saw.  If you plan to cut thiner stock as in fretwork the DeWalt will serve well. I also have a 15"Jet scroll saw (paid $15 for it) that I use every day cutting 3/4" stock, that was made in 1988 with an induction motor, and it still runs well. Different strokes for different folks.

• 2 weeks later...

My first saw was a Delta 16" variable speed.  Vibration almost disappeared after putting it on a old table and throwing a couple sacks of Quickcrete on the bottom shelf.  A great little saw!  I miss it and might pick up another just for grins.  They're really cheap if bought used.  My current saw is a Type 1 DW788 I bought in 1995.  Still using it but if replaced might go with a Hegner.  

I figure that my DE Walt had a problem after about 900 hours of work I can't complain , and it was still in it's first year of service. I put between 4 and 6 hours of work on it

work it 6 days a week 9 month a year and the rest of the year it up to the weather, I don't have a heated shop.