plywood help

kkrunde

I saw this http://www.pinterest.com/pin/328622104032123538/and fell in love :) I drew up a pattern grabbed my plywood and got to work. I encountered two problems.....maybe three. First the cutting was easy but the wood is splintering....is it just the wrong stuff to use or my blade or my sawing? I also think I am making it too small because I am coming close to losing my fingers trying to get out the little notches. Any thoughts on how to do this project?

Here is what I have on hand to work with

- 1/4" plywood

- 1" pine

- 1" mdf

(I think the 1" pieces are way too thick for this but wanted to share everything I have access to)

Blades are regular tooth 10tpi and 15tpi, hook tooth 7tpi, and skip tooth 18.5tpi

Thanks for the help!

Just a guess, The 7, 10 are just too course of a blade. Maybe the 15 will work...but..

start with the skip tooth 18.5TPI

1/4 ply is the best of what you have at hand.

The small teeth of the 18.5 blade will reduce splintering...

may not stop all splintering.

The other blades may be a little too rough.

Thanks everyone. I ended up creating a different, bigger pattern, changed the blade to 18.5tpi, and slowing the speed down and it didn't turn out too bad. Thanks for all the help, I really appreciate it. I am all for using what I have and doing my best. It just isn't always possible to buy the perfect part, so I just make do :) I will post pictures when the paint dried and I have it assembled :)

Baltic Birch plywood is the plywood you want to get ahold of. I am searching desperately for  a supplier of this,myself. I have found some on line and the wood is priced pretty well but  when the shipping is more than the product. I back off. I hunted all over the bigger town by my house (1 hour away ) and could find no one that handles it. My regular supplier is out of stock. I need some to get my Christmas project finished so i continue my search.

I like to use a double tooth blade with 1/8 and 1/4 inch stock because they are not nearly as aggressive. Stack cutting slows down the aggressiveness of the blades too. I will send you a PM and perhaps I can help you our a little

Dick heppnerguy

If you stack cut plywood, glue your pattern to one piece and then use clear packing tape to tape the pieces of wood together. On hard wood you can put blue painters tape on the wood first then glue your pattern to the tape. If you put the tape on plywood when you remove it, it will pull some wood fragments off with it. At least this happens when I use plywood.

Edited by Tdub4ever

I use blue painters tape on all my projects, tape the 2 pieces together than glue your pattern on them, to remove the tape off the plywood just apply a little heat on the tape with a hair dryer or a heatgun, if you have one and the tape lifts right off the plywood with little or no damage at all. If you glue the pattern directly on your project and you do any sort of fret work you have to sand the pattern off and that can get really tricky so for the cost of the tape I prefer to avoid the sanding part.

Good luck hope it clears it up for you.

.../Hans

I like what  .../Hans suggests.

I also use another method other than blue painters tape.

Next time you go shopping, pick up a roll of 'Glad's Press N Seal' ,

Use Press n Seal instead of Blue Painters tape.

You do need a way to roll the Press N Seal flat.

I use a little roller to press it down       post-5492-0-26811400-1416407591_thumb.jpg

Home Depot/Lowes

We keep adding to your expenses, but there is always the learning. 

I go 3 pcs of 1/4 plywood ( 3 pcs is a little less than 3/4 thick) Don't have any problems with the bottom pce. I tired 4 pcs and the bottom one was off.,

t helps if you use clear packing tope over your pattern it cools the blade and it cuts better.

Edited by ike

I use painter blue tape on my top board and I like the wide tape too. I  just add a piece on each edge that overlaps and sticks to the bottom board. that is how I keep my boards together for stack cutting. works good for me. I also like to use a glue stick, most of the time, instead of a spray glue because it works well and costs way less. so that makes me happy. if I have a lot of small fretwork cuts, I glue the painter tape where it will contact my pattern as well at the pattern itself and I have never had any of the pattern lift when i am cutting it

Dick

heppnerguy