Latest work.

annandjohn

Terrific cutting quality, i'd be interested in the particulars of how it's all done ,such as ,blades used ,cutting by pulling or pushing,how many points the wood was clamped or secured,thickness of woods,Blade life and breakage,time it takes to go from hole to hole changing the blade.Do you remove the saw from the project to take a short break or let it hang,I know cutting coins buy hand they wax the blade offen, Do you hold the saw with two hands,

Hello Kevin. To answer your questions. The blades i use are UK sizes of 00.01 fine blade. I use a pushing motion to cut.The wood is not clamped at all, i hold the wood with my right hand and cut with my left.The B.B on those is 4mm thick. Depending on the Season i,e. hot or cold, hot i use maybe 2 blades,cold i use maybe 3 blades.From hole to hole transferring the blade is about 5 seconds.Sometimes i do remove the blade,sometimes i don,t depending on my mood. I hold the saw with one hand all the time. Thank you for your interest Kevin,and thank you all for your kind words. annandjohn.

very nice work. the hand powered saws look very interesting but I do not think I would enjoy using one very much because i do not think I would be able to do it for an extended amount of time. Maybe if I were younger it might be a challenge to give it a try, but  any more, I don't think I could do it. but I still have the opportunity to get on my computer and take in the beauty of your work and I only have to imagine all the difficulty involved with doing it in this laborious manner.

Dick

heppnerguy 

post-2237-0-13600000-1416847367_thumb.jpgpost-2237-0-21788900-1416847392_thumb.jpgpost-2237-0-68240500-1416847413_thumb.jpg

Hello LarryEA. Your saw sounds fine. I hold my work with my hand. I made a 2ft x 2ft box out of scrap ply. On the top is a v table so you can get your saw in to tight places .If you can make the top of the box as smooth as you can it will help when you turn the wood whilst sawing. Don,t push the saw just nice and gentle. You will break a few blades until you get used and your saw will get stuck in the wood. Practice, Practice, Practice. If you do decide to cut some fragile work, sand the wood on both side to the finish you require. This helps with the wood breaking. The old saw on the left was my Dads . He used to make my toys with it when i was a lad It is well over 60 years old. Hope this helps . Good luck. annandjohn.

post-2237-0-66130800-1416847314_thumb.jpg

post-2237-0-32843500-1416847339_thumb.jpg