Nativity Puzzle

kkrunde

I still need to sand it and either paint or stain it, but I'm just SO excited I had to share!  Clayton was very sweet and offered to send me some different wood pieces to try.  They arrived on Friday and I just had a chance today to play :)  I didn't know he was also sending me some blades too.  I learned something very important...the right blade makes ALL the difference!  Dick also sent me some wood and blades, but they haven't arrived yet, I'm extremely THANKFUL to both men for being so sweet and generous and helping me get started with the right materials.  

I saw a finished one of these on pinterest and went to the website hoping to find a pattern.  There isn't a pattern, but I was able to use her pictures as a guide to create my own.  I also got really creative with transferring the pattern.  I don't have spray glue, carbon paper, or a glue stick (I still can't believe I don't have a glue stick) and my husband is hooked up to the dialysis machine, so I can't leave the house to get anything, so I used a pencil on it's side to cover the back with lead and then I just traced over the top with the paper on the wood to lightly transfer the pencil markings.  I am thrilled with how it turned out!  It was tricky and there was some wood burning, but I'm still very happy with the results.  I'm going to try and create my own pattern for one to make as Christmas gifts.  I have enough of this wood from Clayton to make one more, so I may keep this one for my family, make another with the piece from Clayton and see if I can track down some wood in the trash or on craigslist to make some more as gifts.

Thanks for looking :)

post-23698-0-32332000-1416790073_thumb.jpg

post-23698-0-00947200-1416790079_thumb.jpg

This is after I sanded it :)

post-23698-0-47644200-1416792916_thumb.jpg

Edited by kkrunde

Kelly great work!  Here are a couple of ideas for places to get wood on the cheap.  Floor installers, cabinet installers, remodelers, scrap piles at Lowes and Home Depot, Pallets.  All these can be sources of cheap to free wood that you can scroll.  Glad to see that you are having fun.  Keep up the great work.  It is fun to see folks grow.

DW 

Kelly your more gung hoo than i was getting started .Your love for scrolling has got you ad libing all different ways to acheive the same results of more conventional means.Be very careful if you want to dabble in intarsia.They will blow your mind at how beautiful they are and bring a hefty price too when sold.But in the  mean time you can enjoy them and they will inspire you to do more and more.Your husband knew what he was getting when he found you, his "CAN DO GIRL "

I still need to sand it and either paint or stain it, but I'm just SO excited I had to share!  Clayton was very sweet and offered to send me some different wood pieces to try.  They arrived on Friday and I just had a chance today to play :)  I didn't know he was also sending me some blades too.  I learned something very important...the right blade makes ALL the difference!  Dick also sent me some wood and blades, but they haven't arrived yet, I'm extremely THANKFUL to both men for being so sweet and generous and helping me get started with the right materials.  

I saw a finished one of these on pinterest and went to the website hoping to find a pattern.  There isn't a pattern, but I was able to use her pictures as a guide to create my own.  I also got really creative with transferring the pattern.  I don't have spray glue, carbon paper, or a glue stick (I still can't believe I don't have a glue stick) and my husband is hooked up to the dialysis machine, so I can't leave the house to get anything, so I used a pencil on it's side to cover the back with lead and then I just traced over the top with the paper on the wood to lightly transfer the pencil markings.  I am thrilled with how it turned out!  It was tricky and there was some wood burning, but I'm still very happy with the results.  I'm going to try and create my own pattern for one to make as Christmas gifts.  I have enough of this wood from Clayton to make one more, so I may keep this one for my family, make another with the piece from Clayton and see if I can track down some wood in the trash or on craigslist to make some more as gifts.

Thanks for looking :)

attachicon.gifDSC01472 (1024x768).jpg

attachicon.gifDSC01477 (768x1024).jpg

This is after I sanded it :)

attachicon.gifDSC01478 (1024x768).jpg

Hi Kelly, well done, you are coming along in leaps and bounds, The pictures look good too.You seem to have the same attitude as most of us here on the forum. I CAN do it. Larry mentioned family in the forum, so we'll have to create a FAMILY TREE for you so you can have plenty of wood to cut :D  :D  :D . Keep at it Kelly and take care.

Edited by Rob Roy