Question about spiral blade use

Scrolling Steve

I pretty much run at full speed.  I am cutting two or three stacked 1/8" Baltic Birch, and some 1/4".  That is all I have cut with them so far.  I use the 3/0 Flying Dutch blades 95% of the time. 

Did you cut your beautiful avatar picture with straight blades?  I can't imagen how difficult that would be. 

Start out very slow ,machine speed and push speed ,till you get the feel for controling the cut ,increase speed as you can while maintaining control of cut continue till you find your best conbination.too much push speed at any machine speed will not allow dust to clear and pack the blade with dust It(MUST) be able to clear or the blades no longer cutting properly ,and that is main reason some people have so much trouble with spirals ,It is always cutting on three side at once ,depending which way your  pushing the work ! Go slow at first and sneek up on it and you will love them ,TRY to force them You will hate them That blade will give you instant feed back about either or both speeds . IMHO anything else is like trying to nail jello to the wall ,and has the same sucess rate!

It really will hinge on the design.  I often change speeds is mid piece slowing down in the delicate areas and speeding up in straight runs. Many people do this with spiral and flat blades.  You just have to develop a feel and that comes with time and practice.  And yes you will mess up a few along the way.  We all do it.