I have a Scroll Saw dilemma ... please help

LarryEA

I have an option of  either of these saws.

•   A used Hawk pictured here..... on Craigslist
Scroll Saw - Brand New - $450 or Best Offer - Contact .............
 post-5492-0-72971500-1418197270_thumb.jpg

Or a
  •  A brand new Dewalt  
My wife wants me to get the Dewalt because it has a warrenty

PS: The saw I buy will be my second saw. I have a Delta 20-690 I bought in 2010

This is completely unscientific but my gut says go with the Hawk but only because there is a happy dog in the picture.  How old and how much use on the Hawk? The Delta is similar to the DeWalt. The Hawk looks to be a bigger model in the pic than a DeWalt. Is the owner replacing the Hawk or doesn't care for scrolling?   I wish I had your dilemma.  I do have a happy dog and I like red.  Go with the Hawk.    

Edited by Southern Scroller

I think I'd go for the hawk, simply on reputation only. Resale value you can always get your money back out of it and 2 if you decide for door #2 the DW788 it will be more then likely be a type 2 and people are dumping them for the upgrade to a hawk. The warranty on the Dw isn't that great anyway and only good til the saw is at its wear out point then your on your own. No I'd go for the Hawk.

.../Hans

SS     votes                         Hawk                   Thank you SS

Sully  votes                         Dewalt                          Thank you Sully 

Hans votes                          Hawk                   Thank you Hans

Grosa  votes                       Hawk                            Thank you Grosa

Florida and Mexico go Hawk

Tennessee goes Dewalt               

I agree that after trying the hawk, I would offer $350 to open negotiation.  I say to try it first because I found out the hard way.  Saw an auction with a Hawk that was 18" and I knew they hadn't made that size.  Turns out it was a 26" but when we finally got it plugged in found out the variable speed was acting up.  The lady said oh that, it just takes some fiddling to get it running.

Myself personaly I would buy the hawk.I'm on my second Dewalt now and if it dies Im going to change.You could buy it and if you don't like it you could sell it and would have no problem selling it.but if you do the wrong move your wife will remind you cause women don't forget. Good luck hope you make the right one.Damian

OK ! remember the arm doe's not raise up high out of the way with the hawk.I think blade changes are strange but that may be another quality saw i'm thinking of.You already have the look a like dewalt (delta) and loved it ?The hawk is not a double jointed arm like the dewalt ,less vibration.I suggest the dewalt sir.florida rules!

I have both saws and I like both of them,  I believe the Hawk to be a better saw. If the price were the same I would take the Hawk. The Hawk new is $1400 or more depending on the which model it is.  Parts seem to not be a problem for either saw, at least that is what I have come up with so far. You can not go wrong with either one of them, unless there is some major problem within them.  Let us know what you decided on.

Dick

heppnerguy

Hawk

http://stores.bushtonhawkstore.com/

$1,200 new.  You said "new" Hawk so I am assuming it is unused or only slightly used and is a BM20 or BM26 rather than the older but still good RBI Hawk 226vs.  You can check out manuals here

http://www.hawkwoodworkingtools.com/WebsitePages/Scroll-Saw-Manuals.html

I have a Dewalt and an Excalibur and would love to have the BM20 which is American made.  A warranty is only as good as the warranty repair shop and many of them do not know how to work on a scroll saw - I had that experience with my Dewalt which is why it is a backup.

There are two types of older hawk saws. The ones with the aluminum back arm supports have the direct motor connection (good one). The ones with the RED back arm supports are the ones to stay away from because they are run with a tube belt.

Can you tell by the picture?  Any other details I should look for?  Are the back arm supports all red and easy to see?

This is a 2008 saw.

There are two types of older hawk saws. The ones with the aluminum back arm supports have the direct motor connection (good one). The ones with the RED back arm supports are the ones to stay away from because they are run with a tube belt.

Is this correct??????????

Good Hawk Saw   post-5492-0-74143100-1418259687_thumb.jpg

Bad Hawk Saw  post-5492-0-39370800-1418259836_thumb.jpg