Key Fobs

oldhudson

I'm sure some of you wonder if I ever do any scroll work based on my posts which almost all seem to be in other woodworking. But in fact I do some scroll work so....

I used Steve Good's Scrollsaw Workshop stencil printer for these. I made 12 altogether. The ones on the right are walnut and the ones on the left are cherry.

post-18045-0-26026400-1418496422_thumb.jpg

The large hole for the key ring came out poorly, I'm using a standard twist bit and it just tears the wood. I don't have a brad point or forstner bit that's small enough - I need to see if I can find a small brad point bit.

My second issue is that the dust (waste) doesn't always blow off the pattern. My saw is a Delta 40-540. I use a small aquariam pump to blow of the dust and sometimes it works marvelous and other times it looks like I'm plowing a row of dirt. I used a #1 blade. If anyone has any suggestion I'll be listening.

post-18045-0-01067400-1418496460_thumb.jpg

Thanks for reading.

Edited by oldhudson

Hey Berry, very nice work indeed! I see you use blue painters tape under the pattern and clear packing tape on top. Actually you only need one. I prefer the clear tape on top. It is important that there is no air bubbles between the tape and pattern. I use a plastic paint scraper to "burnish" the tape to the pattern. This help prevent dust accumulating between the tape and pattern.

One of the problems using the clear packing tape is static electricity. The dust wants to stick to the tape.usually the dust stays behind the blade. If it is a problem, you may want to reposition your air hose closer to the work or get a stronger air pump.

Hey Berry, very nice work indeed! I see you use blue painters tape under the pattern and clear packing tape on top. Actually you only need one. I prefer the clear tape on top. It is important that there is no air bubbles between the tape and pattern. I use a plastic paint scraper to "burnish" the tape to the pattern. This help prevent dust accumulating between the tape and pattern.

One of the problems using the clear packing tape is static electricity. The dust wants to stick to the tape.usually the dust stays behind the blade. If it is a problem, you may want to reposition your air hose closer to the work or get a stronger air pump.

I use the painters tape because I seem to have issues with the spray adhesive I use being difficult to clean off when I remove the pattern. I use the packing tape because it really secures the pattern and is supposed to lubricate the blade??

Static is a real problem in the midwest during heating season, But I've notice that the dust problem is much worse when I cut with the grain than when I cut across the grain???

I can shop CL for a larger pump.

Thanks for your thoughts - I hope your not one of the homes caught in a mudslide.

I cut about 20 of those name keys chains to use to mark my Christmas present with the name of the recipient. I used blue painters tape and FD double toothed penguin #3 blades and I found no problems at all cutting them. I also used the same blades to cut the chain hole and I experienced no problems there either. I, personally never use packing tape as I do not find it necessary or of any real help in any way. Keep in mind that I am an old guy and it takes some effort to get me to change the way I do things. sometimes that can be a real problem for me. I also often use a glue stick to attach a pattern to my painters tape and rarely have a pattern lift from the wood. If I do experience that problem then I just glue the tape  and the back of the pattern. One thing i am also doing a lot now it spraying my pattern and putting it directly on my wood, (no packing tape ) and after I finish cutting the pattern, I heat the remaining pattern with my heat gun for a about 3 seconds and peal off the remaining pattern with ease. They I hit it with the orbital sander and no fuzzies and no glue residue.  

Dick

heppnerguy 

They look great, I'm sure everyone will be impressed.  I had a Delta once and the blower never worked so I got myself an aquarium pump spent half the time blowing the dust away myself.  In the end I got myself a DeWalt, that fixed the problem.  :lol:

Marg  :santa:

Your correct in that you only need tape on 1 side. For me I have found that even though I using FD scroll reverse blades, I get fewer fuzzies with the blue tape on back. This is really helpfull on puzzles cut on 5.2mm Birch plywood. It is a pain in the neck pealing the blue tape off of the back of each piece.

Nice work but Im wondering about the problem your having with dust. On your saw there is supposed to be a air diagram inside your saw on top of one of the arms inside with a hose going to the blades. If you don't know where type your number and make to get a parts breakdown to order one if there is none or a hole in it.I had a Delta and there should be one and you could put that aquarium pump where it should be. Keep up the good work and I hope this helps. Damian

Nice work but Im wondering about the problem your having with dust. On your saw there is supposed to be a air diagram inside your saw on top of one of the arms inside with a hose going to the blades. If you don't know where type your number and make to get a parts breakdown to order one if there is none or a hole in it.I had a Delta and there should be one and you could put that aquarium pump where it should be. Keep up the good work and I hope this helps. Damian

That pic was taken with BOTH the diaphram pump and my little aquarium pump running.

Hey Berry, at least the dust is behind the blade not in front.

Here is a little scrolling tip. Start your cut in the corner of the chain loop instead of the middle of the project. That way the little nub will be hidden and you don't have to sand it off.

A nice wee tip Dan :D  :D . Wishing you and the family a Happy and Peaceful Christmas from Scotland.

Rob Roy.

I'm sure some of you wonder if I ever do any scroll work based on my posts which almost all seem to be in other woodworking. But in fact I do some scroll work so....

I used Steve Good's Scrollsaw Workshop stencil printer for these. I made 12 altogether. The ones on the right are walnut and the ones on the left are cherry.

attachicon.gifKeyFob062.jpg

The large hole for the key ring came out poorly, I'm using a standard twist bit and it just tears the wood. I don't have a brad point or forstner bit that's small enough - I need to see if I can find a small brad point bit.

My second issue is that the dust (waste) doesn't always blow off the pattern. My saw is a Delta 40-540. I use a small aquariam pump to blow of the dust and sometimes it works marvelous and other times it looks like I'm plowing a row of dirt. I used a #1 blade. If anyone has any suggestion I'll be listening.

attachicon.gifDust055.jpg

Thanks for reading.

They look very nice Berry. The recipients will be very pleased with them. :cool:  :cool: . Wishing you and the family A Very Happy Christmas. :D  :D .