Advice

kkrunde

I'm going to attempt to make the nativity ornament from here http://www.stevedgood.com/2014ornaments.pdf  This will be the first time I have done that kind of detailed work.  I'm going to be using a flying dutchman blade and some 1/4" wood that Dick (heppnerguy) sent to me.  Is there a trick to make those very very detailed facial features?  I'll admit I'm a little afraid to try, but I want to make some as gifts for Christmas this year.

Thanks for the advice!

Kelly

Hi Kelly. By now you are familiar with your scroll saw right? well my advise to you is have fun thats all, relax, even after 50 some odd years of scrolling I do cut of a nose once in a while, so don't worry so much it will all come out in the wash. When I cut a piece, I alway look first at what the focal point is,where are people going to look on the picture? I'm sure they aren't going to look at the old mans face when he has a cute puppy on a leash right? so the puppy would have to be close but the old man not so much and definitely not the trees behind him. See where I'm going with this. So cut it out don't worry to much about not staying on the line as once you remove the pattern no one will ever no where the line was. Each piece we make be it a portrait, ornament or jewelry box they are all originals we put an artistic touch of our own into it. People you give them to will love them and the people that buy them also and the people that don't like it buy plastic.

Remember now have fun,in time you will get almost perfection also, but you have to cut one hole at the time to make a master piece.

Good luck

.../Hans 

You'll have to glue the pattern to the wood, just having a bare pattern on wood and then tape on top of it doesn't work even a glue stick will work for you but you'll have to sand off the residue left behind. But Besides that look at what you created I didn't even know the pattern you were cutting and without the detail I can tell thats Mary Joseph and the cradle with Jesus so how important was that detail?

Keep it up your on the right road to success

.../Hans

Karen,

I am proud of you and your efforts.  If you need a glue stick or painters tape, let me know. I can help you, if you require it. God is good and I am happy to share with someone like you if you can use the help. it is not going to break me and besides helping others in need with what God has blessed me with is much more important than doing nothing about it when you can. Your own kidney will tell you that.

Dick

heppnerguy