Anyone Tried Gloves?

Scrappile

One item I received for Christmas was a pair of Gorilla Grip gloves.  They are a very lightweight, tight fitting glove with a rubber like facing on the fingers and palms. 

index.jpg

I was not sure what I was going to do with them until today.  I am working on scrolling an elk scene and decide to try out the glove.  I've been having trouble gripping the wood with the pattern on it while moving the pattern away from me (using spiral blades).  My hands would slip some.  With the gloves on, no more problem.  I like wearing them.  Gives a firmer grip all the way around. 

Also I have read of people getting cold hands when scrolling.  These gloves may help that some. 

I know some will argue that you should never wear gloves when operating machinery, and I agree on some machinery that is a concern, but on a scroll saw and tight fitting gloves, I feel it is not an issue. 

Just thought I would throw this out there for what it is worth..

Gloves to me are sometimes ,when they really help and I need a better grip or protection ,I have a pair in my dremel cab for what you described .detached and separate from the sleeves ,I don't use often ,but when I need that extra I have them ! They really help ,I don't see a safety issue on a scroll saw , In a cool shop they may be just the ticket !Go for it ! 

Like any tool they have their place and proper use.  I too use gloves from time to time generally however it is when I am applying my finishes.  I have used them however to help protect my hands when sawing woods that are splintery when cut, or woods that tend to be slippery.  Generally however I do not wear them outside of when I am applying finishes.  Those gloves do look comfortable though.  Wonder where they got them.

DW

I've thought  about this holding on problem long ago. I had thought about suicide knobs self sticking on the project for positive control like on old car steering wheels but mini.And then to scale it down even more was to use rubber finger socks that just go over a few fingers for control also. gloves would be to cumbersome i feel. But you have the right idea. Snip those baby's down and scroll away!The perfect match for spirals

I use a pair of goatskin driving gloves a bunch when working wood.  No problem with them when scrolling.  Like any "new" tool in the shop they take a little getting used to and the more they are used the better they work.  And I have a thicker pair of leathers I use when working the belt sander.  Rather see the leather on the gloves getting "burnished" than having it happen to my skin.

Larry

My shop is heated solely by wood. This time of year it sometimes takes 45 minutes to an hour to get it warm. I have tried gloves of different types and have never had much luck.  The loss of feeling makes me less sure in my turns. Guess I'll just plan a little more time in the winter before sitting down at the saw.

Jim

I have never felt the need for gloves because so far I have not felt that I need a better grip on my wood, maybe because i do not use spiral blades but I will try to keep this in mind in case I find I need more grip sometime. I am a little slow to try new ideas and that is one of the 'old guy' syndromes. But I am trying to learn that I am not too old to learn and try new things. i do really like the idea of using some protective gloves with my disk sander as I have gotten my finger into that once and the sander does not care what you put into it and will immediately grind anything away, including my skin.

Dick

heppnerguy