4 Spiral Stacked Bowls

DWSUDEKUM

All 4 of these bowls were made from the same pattern.  The differences were the thickness of the wood and the size of the pattern.
Pine_and_Walnut_Sprial_Bowl_001.jpg

The first bowl ( top left )
This Bowl was cut from 1/2 inch thick BB.  Sealed with Tung Oil and then top coated with satin lacquer.  The pattern was full size.
Pine_and_Walnut_Sprial_Bowl_004.jpg

The second bowl ( top right )
This bowl was cut from this blank that is 5/8 in. thick.  The pattern was full size.  Sealed with tung oil and then top coated with satin lacquer.

Pine_and_Walnut_Spiral_Bowl_001.jpg

Pine_and_Walnut_Spiral_Bowl_002.jpg
Pine_and_Walnut_Sprial_Bowl_005.jpg

The third bowl ( bottom left ) 
This bowl was cut from 1/4 in. 3 pile ply.  The pattern was full size.  I did not use all of the rings.  Sealed with tung oil and top coated with satin lacquer.
Pine_and_Walnut_Sprial_Bowl_003.jpg

The fourth bowl ( bottom right )
This bowl was cut from 1/4" bb however the pattern was only 5 inches in diameter.  Sealed with tung oil and top coated with satin lacquer.
Pine_and_Walnut_Sprial_Bowl_002.jpg

The two on the top were full size but had different wood thickness. The striped one was 5/8 in and the other 1/2 inch.
The other two were 1/4 inch but of different size ( diameter ) patterns. All the bowls were sealed with tung oil and then top coated with satin lacquer.  As you can see there can be a wide variance in making a bowl with a pattern.

DW

Checkout that crazy grain pattern on the end grain ,Did you glue 3/4" stock and plane down to size ,tricky gluing up and clamping to keep the warp under control ,more to it than just fine cutting ,I am impressed !

That is essentially what I did.  Except I used a sandflee knockoff to get everything flat.  The pine board I used was 12 inches long x 10 inches wide and 3/4 thick.  It had a pretty good warp, about 3/8 of an inch lengthwise.  That is why I cut and spliced the insert there.  The glue up was pretty easy.  essentially 2 bar clamps and a couple of spring clamps to ensure that the boards did not pop up and apart.  I do not have a table saw so I use my little 9" ryobi bandsaw and my 12" disk sander to ensure things are tight and square.

DW