This sure was a big surprise, just had to share it

heppnerguy

this morning I went out to my shop to work on my project and it had gotten a little chilly this morning so the first thing I did was build a fire in my shop wood stove. I then  went out to my wood pile and split a small branch of with really ugly bark and bare wood surrounding the entire outside parameter. When the ax went through the peace and split it opened I could not believe my eyes. I have no idea what kind of wood this is but I am going to hopefully find more like this one.. The color is amazing and just like it looks in the photo. I blew me away. I had to give you all a look at this one.

Dick

heppnerguy

post-2238-0-27125900-1422307056_thumb.png

Hello, Zen.

I'm a new member, about 20 min. ago actually. Stumbled on your post wandering through the site and saw that really nice pc. of wood. I buy some of my wood from a place called Ocooch Hardwoods out of Wisconsin. They sell Blue Pine in limited widths that look an awful lot like what you posted. Not sure if that's what you have but, they look similar. Nice find!

I split a few more pieces today and so far there was nothing like it. I do hope I am lucky enough to run across at least one more of these.It was the most amazing pieces of wood I have ever seen. It does not look like any pine that I am aware of, but anything is possible, I quess. It seems to mimic Cotton wood, but nothing has thins color to it. It was like a gem..I wish I would not have burned it now

Dick

heppnerguy

Dick wood like that generally has one or two sources of the color.  Either the tree hit with its roots a rich cobalt area or more likely is it got infested with insects that drilled holes in it and caused the discoloration.  Spalted Maple, Blue Pine, and several other species can have this type of discoloration.  Keep looking you will find another.. if you found one in the area there is bound to be more.

DW

A few years ago some folks in Colorado were "making" Colored wood with Red, purple and green the species were Pine and Aspen. I lost track of the address and have been unable to find anything about them. The wood was very sinilar to what you showed but the red and purple were amazing. They showed the stump from a cut to show that it was not a post harvest dye .

Fredfret

Wichita, ks

Mine was definitely not a dyed piece, but there was not sign of color until I cut into it. I was shocked by what I saw and immediately ran into the house to show my wife. I then took it to the front porch where I knew the morning sun would provide the right light in order to capture the true color of it.. 

Dick

heppnerguy

Here is a picture of the pine my niece got me from Colorado- worm eaten pine

I have used the wood like you posted several times and have a piece or two laying around. This is definitely NOT the pine. This is way too vivid. My daughter, who gave it to me, said she thought that it is probably  Russian Olive, of which she has a couple on her land. I am still looking for more of this..  

Roly,

Unfortunately, I burned this piece in my shop stove.  

Dick

heppnerguy