Wild Horses

Ron Johnson

I do not know how you do that, it is awesome.  Can you recomment a book or something to learn how?

This type of art I enjoy very much Paul is called double bevelled marquetry (painting with wood). If you search on the net and type in double bevel marquetry you'll find a great selection of instructions along with videos demostrating this type of art. I use a wide selection of exotic hardwoods for my colours (1/8" in thickness). I do mostly scenes and or animals so my backboard I bevel my hardwoods into are â…›". 

Scroll down to Mathew Wermer Demonstrates Double Bevel Marquetry. He gives a demonstration very close to the procedure I use. Hopefully this will give you a start. Let me know if I can be of further help.

Edited by Ron Johnson

This type of art I enjoy very much Paul is called double bevelled marquetry (painting with wood). If you search on the net and type in double bevel marquetry you'll find a great selection of instructions along with videos demostrating this type of art. I use a wide selection of exotic hardwoods for my colours (1/8" in thickness). I do mostly scenes and or animals so my backboard I bevel my hardwoods into are â…›". 

Scroll down to Mathew Wermer Demonstrates Double Bevel Marquetry. He gives a demonstration very close to the procedure I use. Hopefully this will give you a start. Let me know if I can be of further help.

Thanks for the info.  I watched the video and now I am even more impressed with your work.  The detail you did in the manes, tail and the little bushes,  very impressive for sure.