Well, About 15 Blades Latter

Scrappile

Well done Paul. Nice cut. Are most of your cuttings done with 1/4"? Do you just single cut? I do all mine with 1/8" and stack at least 3 and sometimes 4 pcs. to help with blade control. I'm considering using 1/4" to cut down on number of finished portraits, they are starting to stack up, and I only want to frame so many.

For some reason I really went through a lot of blades so do this one.  1/4" Baltic Birch, 3/0 New Spiral Flying Dutchman blades.  Charles Dearing pattern.

IMG_2502.jpg

A beautiful job Paul. Maybe the reason for getting through so many blades is the fact that somehow you managed to get a lot of detail into the DETAILS. Lovely job. :thumbs:  :thumbs:  :thumbs:  :thumbs: .

Rob Roy

Thank you all for the very nice comments.  I do love the Charles Dearing patterns.  Recently I ordered 7 of Mike Williams' patterns.  Very anxious to give them a try. 

Well done Paul. Nice cut. Are most of your cuttings done with 1/4"? Do you just single cut? I do all mine with 1/8" and stack at least 3 and sometimes 4 pcs. to help with blade control. I'm considering using 1/4" to cut down on number of finished portraits, they are starting to stack up, and I only want to frame so many.

Lately most my cutting has been in /4" BB with a piece of scrap plywood for a backer.  If like the look of depth 1/" gives on bigger pictures.

Paul, what is the overall size of this beautiful cutting?

Len

This cutting is 17.5" x 10.5" 

Where on the blades did they break?

Blades were breaking in the cut area.  I used a piece of old oak scrap plywood as a backer and maybe I was pushing a bit too much with the harder plywood.  Not sure, but I'm use to breaking blades.  Just not normally this many.

Awesome piece! Nice work!

Mind if I ask about how many hours this took you?

Sorry, I know longer keep track, but I would guess, based on when I did try to keep track, that it was around 20 - 25 hours.   Hard to keep track, I start one, keep it on the saw and will scroll every chance I get.   Sometime I sit there for several hours, sometimes a few minutes.  I made a log to fill out sometime ago but found out I'd rather scroll than filling in a logsheet.....  It got forgotten pretty quickly. 

Paul ,I have found that ,despite the cost ,I change blades as soon as it whispers or control changes ,I use a lot of cheap mbf ply. which has advantages and is tought on blades , but are cheaper and easier to get than BB and warps less 1/8" slips into cheap pre made frames . I love detail to and shelf paper liners ,sharp blades less fuzzy issues and with vac no problems That is a beautiful piece Enjoy seeing all you work ! 

Sorry, I know longer keep track, but I would guess, based on when I did try to keep track, that it was around 20 - 25 hours.   Hard to keep track, I start one, keep it on the saw and will scroll every chance I get.   Sometime I sit there for several hours, sometimes a few minutes.  I made a log to fill out sometime ago but found out I'd rather scroll than filling in a logsheet.....  It got forgotten pretty quickly. 

Guess it's true, the most important tool you can have is patience. :thumbs: