Second Project (Hope/Feather)

Fishman

I'm back with my second project! I made this pattern myself (and will share if anybody is interested). I made it on some cheap pine wood. Kind of wishing I had used the nice piece of Birch I got since it came out pretty good. I could probably work on the letters a bit, I think part of the problem is I need a better stand for my saw. It can wobble at certain speeds. Maybe new blades too, I don't know...will just be something I have to mess around with. Might just need some more practice too. :oops:

I was going to put a thin backing on it, or mount it...but actually ended up liking it freestanding. I just dipped it in 50/50 BLO and MS, going to put a few coats of Deft on it tomorrow or the next day. What do you guys think?

post-25096-0-64078000-1423705238_thumb.jpg

post-25096-0-24681800-1423705243_thumb.jpg

I think you're funny. You did a very good job cutting the feather.

Use good wood!!! If you are going to take the time.... make the best.

I like it freestanding.

Don't be afraid to make mistakes and you will, that's when you learn how to correct 'em.

Yepper, a good stand helps. Blades, yes...

But I gotta say if I liked the way a blade was cutting, I stick with it till it breaks (not all the time).

It's a feather in your cap. 

Looks much better than my first project . Your getting the hang of it , Your profile don't say much ,so I couldn't gage your age ,but For all you show people ,a thought occured to me ,That feather reminded me of an object my mother had shaped similar ,I don't remember HOPE being part of it but would be appropriate quill was a little wider and a loop leather thong for her wrist , would make a antique Board of education ,that would sell well at shows  ! Sorry fisherman not ,meaning to belittle or make fun of your project just an honest ,memory and thought I would pass along . and if your young enough and have kids, the display is a daily reminder in your home ,I know it worked at mine ! Keep posting ,sorry ,I guess I should not have posted this ,but ,I really meant no harm or joke .! zCarl

Thanks guys, I can't wait to do my next project. And Carl, I'm 24. I will put that on my profile I suppose. I don't generally like to advertise that because I find in this hobby (or just in general really) I don't get much respect being so young.

Not saying anything about the site, everybody has been real nice here...but in person; going to stores, etc.. People can be quite rude and not take me serious.

Hope my age doesn't change any of your opinions of me.

Edited by Fishman

Jordan I don't care how old you are you are a member of this scrolling family and you will be treated like one.  Now get in there and clean your room.  :lol: :lol: :lol:   Just kidding but I meant every word of the first sentence.  ;)   Firstly I love the pattern of the feather that you made. Secondly you always seem to be second guessing yourself.  What type of blades do you use, if they are cheap s*#t get new ones. I have lots of blades I don't like and wont use but I had to try them before I could say I didn't like them.  Use the pine to see how easy or hard your pattern is to cut then use good stuff, you will also know by then where you may have gone wrong.  But mainly just sit back and say, " Man I Am Proud Of What I Just Cut."  And remember its all practice practice practice. Overall for your 2nd project I'll give  you 10/10. :thumbs:   It's looks great.

Marg

Jordan ,we have all been there and know about what you speak ,as you get older you will find the opposite is also true ,Here I think we treat everybody by how they act .we all enjoy the group and you are very welcome ,and look forward to your adventures in scrolling ,there so many ways and types and we have some real pro's here and some soon to be ,Join in whenever and when ever your part of the group , Carl !

Thanks guys, I can't wait to do my next project. And Carl, I'm 24. I will put that on my profile I suppose. I don't generally like to advertise that because I find in this hobby (or just in general really) I don't get much respect being so young.

Not saying anything about the site, everybody has been real nice here...but in person; going to stores, etc.. People can be quite rude and not take me serious.

Hope my age doesn't change any of your opinions of me.

Your just starting out and miles ahead of me and i've been scrolling 10 years and can't pattern anything !Age is just a number and if you'd like to trade i'm game,lol.I try to sell my projects in like stores like my dog stuff in dog stores .the people don't even want  to look at  what i made, and that's every dog store. Flower shops too.I don't get respect either but my love for scrolling keeps me happy and that's all that counts.Keep them coming.Post your patterns for all to see in our pattern library ,I'll cut this one ,thanks!

I wish I had started when I was you age.  I started at 70, just turned 71 and keep thinking of all the things I want to make and may not have enough time left!!

By the way over on Steve Good's forum there are two teenagers signed up.  They seem to be having a lot of fun and are doing outstanding work.

Edited by Scrappile