I have a dilemma

heppnerguy

I have now completed this clock that I had intended to be my wife,a valentines gift but I am a couple of days late. This is the most complex piece I have ever cut and after all the pieces were finally cut and I was starting my assembly process I discovered to my dismay, that I had printed and cut my parts on two different sizes. I was, fortunately able to make adjustments and was able to use all the mis sized pieces. But now that I have it all put together I have found another dilemma. I have no idea as to how to put a finish on this clock. There are many layers in placement in front of one another and I see no way to use a brush or a sprayer to get the job done. So HELP ME IF YOU CAN. Anyone with an idea to help me make this click turn out the way I would really like it to be.

Dick

heppnerguy

post-2238-0-12620200-1424403275_thumb.jpg

yes it is easy to move and the clock insert can be removed. I usually spray lacquer from a can like Deft. It just has so many parts tat stick out in front of each other so it does not seem possible to successfully spray anything because everything would be blocked behind all the gingerbread in front of all the main body of the clock. 

Dick

heppnerguy

Dick I really like that and as for the finish I wonder if one of the drying oils such as Tung or BLO might do the trick.  Since you have many layers and levels on that clock it would be easy to apply one of the oils which would soak into the woods and then harden no need to worry about brush strokes etc.  Just an idea.  Thanks for sharing the clock with us, will be interested in hearing what you finally come up with in the way of the finish.

DW

My self if push came to shove Put what ever in a garden pump up sprayer.Hang up your project and fog the whole enchilada 5 angles.You'll waste some but you'll cover everything.Make a sheet thin plastic spray booth and have at it .What ever drips off catch it in some pan or ...More than one way to skin a cat.I usually just dunk my projects in stain to completely cover everything and wipe clean.I know it's cave man style but time saved is good for me . :rofl:

I have now completed this clock that I had intended to be my wife,a valentines gift but I am a couple of days late. This is the most complex piece I have ever cut and after all the pieces were finally cut and I was starting my assembly process I discovered to my dismay, that I had printed and cut my parts on two different sizes. I was, fortunately able to make adjustments and was able to use all the mis sized pieces. But now that I have it all put together I have found another dilemma. I have no idea as to how to put a finish on this clock. There are many layers in placement in front of one another and I see no way to use a brush or a sprayer to get the job done. So HELP ME IF YOU CAN. Anyone with an idea to help me make this click turn out the way I would really like it to be.

Dick

heppnerguy

This may sound crazy Dick, but is it possible to remove the movement and DIP it in a quick drying oil. Just a suggestion Dick,(possibly a stupid one). Hope you manage to sort something out as it is one beautiful piece of ART.

Rob Roy.

Hi Dick I have the exact Clock and never put a finish on mine for the very same reason, Nobody wants to brush it on it would take forever I think spraying is the only solution and even then I wonder if you'll get it everywhere. one other idea I had was to put oil in a turkey roaster and soak the clock then roll it over and over until all of it had a good soak the put it away to let it drip dry. It will be messy but I just see no other way. Fantastic Job on the clock by the way.

Ok  thanks everyone for chiming in. Maybe this is why I should have an airbrush but they just are too spendy for the few times I would probably use one. ( Not having ever used one, who really knows ). I still do not think I could do a good job with a rattle can and the end results would be that the clock would end up with runs everywhere. the small brush idea would be very time consuming and the dipping would take one heck of a lot of oil. so, It looks like the dipping, small brush or perhaps using a garden sprayer or putting oil into a spray gun is what i will probably end up doing. I do have a pneumatic low pressure spray gun, does anyone think that might work? that could just be my answer.. I have never used tung oil before, would that be my best bet or would a different one be more beneficial ? I also have never use BLO.  Any further thoughts there on those two possibilties ?

Dick

heppnerguy 

I got an email from Homer Bishop and he told me that he talked to a friend that made a lot of these kind of clocks and was told that the pieces should be finished before they are glued together and it was his opinion that it would not be a good idea to do any further effort to finish my clock because there was probably many spots where a thin layer of glue had been wiped off the wood and it could easily leave unsaturated places if I were to do anything to it and they would stand out and actually take away from the clock rather than enhance the appearance, With that said, I decided to just leave it be, like Hans did his.  

I can not thank all of you enough for taking the time to try and help this old  man.  I do appreciate it a lot. i am going to rack this experience up as a learning one and go on to my next project just a wee bid wiser than I was yesterday,

Dick

heppnerguy 

I got an email from Homer Bishop and he told me that he talked to a friend that made a lot of these kind of clocks and was told that the pieces should be finished before they are glued together and it was his opinion that it would not be a good idea to do any further effort to finish my clock because there was probably many spots where a thin layer of glue had been wiped off the wood and it could easily leave unsaturated places if I were to do anything to it and they would stand out and actually take away from the clock rather than enhance the appearance, With that said, I decided to just leave it be, like Hans did his.  

I can not thank all of you enough for taking the time to try and help this old  man.  I do appreciate it a lot. i am going to rack this experience up as a learning one and go on to my next project just a wee bid wiser than I was yesterday,

Dick

heppnerguy 

There you go Dick, you've just proved you CAN teach old dogs like us NEW TRICKS. I know your dear wife and all who see it will love her clock,a beautiful piece of artistry.

Rob Roy.

absolutely AWESOME clokc there Dick, I think you made the right choice to leave it unfinished. Any glue residue that hasd spilled out,even when wiped off, would leave any finish with a patchy look. Next time I would finish the parts before assembly, dry fit it to ensure the parts fit then finish it before gluing it together. But even without a finish I bet your wife loves it.

i am happy to report that i received another email from my good friends, Homer and Carol and this time I got a tip on a glue that will come in handy when ever you need to finish a piece that already has a finish on it. I will be investing in this glue for sure and give it a try. I will let you know how well it works, once I have given it a go. If Homer and Carol recommend this to me, I feel extremely satisfied that it is what I will need, even without using it..

it is caller Crafter's Pic Ultimate Glue. Hobby Lobby handles it and it can be found on

http://shop.hoobtlobby.com/products/crafters-p-ck-ultimate-glue-461053/

if anyome is interested in looking it up

Dick

heppnerguy

PS  Thanks Homer and Carol..... I love this  family of ours