Question

smitty0312

I made a birdhouse about 5 years ago, perhaps even a little longer and it's holding up great outdoors.

I used Krylon Indoor/Outdoor spray paint, and Cedar wood. Generally clear coats just don't hold up in the weather and sun, so I didn't use one.

Not sure if this helps you or not, but figured I would at least try.

I was going to make it out of cabinet grade plywood.......trim edges out in oak.......it will be 2 sided......I know plywood is not the best for outdoor.........but trying to keep price down for customer.....they understand the difference.

Would MARINE or Exterior ply be too expensive Dan?????.

Rob Roy.

Hammerite paint makes it look like a tile Dan and water proof but if it was me after painting with standard paint I would yacht vanish it because it's water proof for years. Roly

Roly you might not believe this. A while ago I bought a small can of YACHT VARNISH and when I was reading back of the can to check the re coating time I saw the statement "DO NOT USE FOR BOATS". No joke, Roly for a change,. So it DOESN'T always do what it says on the can. :shock:  :shock:  :shock:  :shock: .

Rob Roy.

A good quality oil-based exterior paint without the color added is what I would use.  Before you write this off a "he done inhaled too much saw dust and flipped his lid" read information at this link.  http://askhlm.com/Articles/ArticleViewPage/tabid/75/ArticleId/26/Paint-On-A-Clear-Finish.aspx

For more finish information here is more  http://askhlm.com/Articles.aspx

Larry

Rob Roy.

Roly you might not believe this. A while ago I bought a small can of YACHT VARNISH and when I was reading back of the can to check the re coating time I saw the statement "DO NOT USE FOR BOATS". No joke, Roly for a change,. So it DOESN'T always do what it says on the can. :shock:  :shock:  :shock:  :shock: .

Rob Roy.

Yep you need to buy the good stuff not the rubbish from super stores. not for boats haa haa. Roly

Yep you need to buy the good stuff not the rubbish from super stores. not for boats haa haa. Roly

Annoying thing was Roly I bought it from a PAINT dealer, and when I mentioned it was not to be used on boats, the answer was "well don't use it on yer boat then pal". I gave up. :oops:  :oops:  :oops:  :oops: .

Rob Roy.

Edited by Rob Roy

Annoying thing was Roly I bought it from a PAINT dealer, and when I mentioned it was not to be used on boats, the answer was "well don't use it on yer boat then pal". I gave up. :oops:  :oops:  :oops:  :oops: .

Rob Roy.

Try this it's amazing http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ronseal-YVS250-250ml-Exterior-Varnish/dp/B001GU8A50/ref=pd_sim_diy_4?ie=UTF8&refRID=19EGN6JGEA74VAVYJB17

Edited by Phantom Scroller

Rob Roy.

Rob Roy.

This reminds my of the caution written on tooth paste tubes. Something like, 'if you swallow any of this product, call poison contol"

Not kinding   check it out for yourselves

Dick

heppnerguy

Dan, In the past I've used Spar marine varnish, or, a clear drying epoxy. Both stand up to the weather, and will last a fairly long time. None of them are going to last forever, but, if you recoat them about every three years or so, they will probably last longer than the person you made them for.

Len