my first scroll

ducky

THAT IS A GOOD START. NOW JUST KEEP THAT ONE ANDCHECK IT DOWN THE ROAD AND THEN YOU CANSEE YOUR MISTAKES. THE HARDEST PART OF ;MOST

PATTERNS IS THE CIRCLES. A NOTHER TH;ING TO REMEMBER IS TO LET THE SAW DO THE WORK YOU JUST APPLY ENOUGH PRESSURE TO DO THE CUTTING

YOU ARE THE GUIDE.

Rockler has a great led light for $50 +tax right now. Good GLASS magnifier and lots of nice leds. With a base clamp.

Much better than my first scrollsaw efforts were.

My first efforts were a while back though!

Keep the work going and remember that the only person you really have to PLEASE is the one in the mirror.

Make a comfortable "nest" -- get decent light- comfortable chair. and all the rest of the fine tuning to suit YOU -- does NOT have to be like anyone else wants it!

If the cutting error is into the waste are it is easy to fix. Cutting errors under 1/16 or so usually do not show anyway-- so "NO WORRIES" about them.

If 2 or more pieces have to be totally identical -- stack them. to cut as many as works well. If you need a whole bunch then stack the stacks and clean up with sanders/files etc.

I use a clear (Dollar tree) packing tape over anywhere the cuts are going and then put the pattern on it with a permanent marker. I use red as it is easier to see against the blade. BUT use what works for you. A lot of these fine crafts-people use a paper pattern glued to the wood! Try a lot of ways and one the one that fits YOU!

Also I use an old candle (bees wax--if possible) as a blade lubricant. The clear tape also acts as a blade lube.

Find a source for blades that you like-- not the "stores".

I buy mine from http://pozsgaidesigns.com/He is also a scrollsawer and inventor. Great guy actually lives only a few miles away for me.

Most important of all HAVE FUN!

Edited by rjR

http://pozsgaidesigns.com/ just abit out of my way seeing am in uk .. i found machine mart store in bradford thy do a good supply ,just got to learn tension on the blade. has my one a adaption that keeps flying of the saw lol.so till it  sorted am stuck to pin blades,thank u for the candle idea,was hunting item  to lubricant, i am having fun but looking for  a fullface mask has i am coughing alot from dust i think, old age hits again lol 

I think you did a splendid job. The more you do, the more natural it gets. If you are married, make things for the wife. Nothing is more pleasing to me than to give something i made to my wife and she is amazed that I can even cut it. I guess I like the appreciation and praise coming from the one person I cherish and love the most. I was never any good at present shopping. Never knew what to buy, now I can give her presents often, this makes me feel really good. 

Now on to the next project. Don't worry about staying on the line too much at the beginning because pretty soon it will be easy to do. Remember the first time you drove a car. "Oh no,   a curve coming up. What if I don't make it around it ?"  Now you don't even give it a second thought. Keep making the sawdust and sharing your work. Most  of all...keep logging on here

Dick

heppnerguy