Puzzle Time!

Fishman

I haven't had anywhere near the amount of time I wanted to have in the garage, but I did manage to make my first puzzle tonight!

Still need to work out a better method. I don't feel the photo is stuck to the wood well enough. Also don't know how I like cutting it after putting the Mod Podge on; even though it was recommended.

All in all I think it came out pretty good....if I do say so myself. Oh, and the photo used was one I took. I dabble in photography too as another side hobby. :lol:

post-25096-0-81743700-1425100768_thumb.jpg

Good job, I'm going to switch from spray glue to contact cement or 77 spray glue.For some reason the photos i've glued come off unexpectedly on the edges.Maybe that's where my fingers touched it.thicker wood needs a bigger blade so they come apart easy.Marriage pictures ,like when they cut the cake were a big selling part of the puzzles i made.

Thanks everybody!

Good job, I'm going to switch from spray glue to contact cement or 77 spray glue.For some reason the photos i've glued come off unexpectedly on the edges.Maybe that's where my fingers touched it.thicker wood needs a bigger blade so they come apart easy.Marriage pictures ,like when they cut the cake were a big selling part of the puzzles i made.

I remember Carter Johnson saying he uses plain old cheap Aleene's Tacky Glue. I'm thinking any glue like that or wood glue would work. I used spray adhesive for this one. Upon further investigation I noticed that the picture wasn't peeling, but more of splitting from itself. I will try some more testing and share whatever I find with everybody....maybe it will help somebody out.

I will say I used some of the Mod Podge to glue a few more pictures last night, and from what I can tell there is no way you're getting them off. So far, as it stands Spray is not as good.

Edited by Fishman

Fishman, if you were to apply the spray glue like I'm about to mention, I think you will have better results. Apply the spray glue to both surfaces, the face of the wood and the back of the picture. Let the glue set-up for about 20-30 seconds, before applying the picture to the wood. I found that by doing it this way, the picture and wood always stays stuck together. Make sure that the picture is placed right where you want it, because, there's no separating them once they come into contact with each other. Good luck.

Len

When I make puzzles I use this stuff from Hobbycraft the pva glue is cheap and I use an old credit card to spread it on and a sponge roller to even out the picture the puzzle conserver isn't cheap and you just sponge it on, it has it's own sponge attached to the bottle which you wash under water when finished works well. Roly

post-2228-0-10108200-1425214334_thumb.jpg

Fishman, if you were to apply the spray glue like I'm about to mention, I think you will have better results. Apply the spray glue to both surfaces, the face of the wood and the back of the picture. Let the glue set-up for about 20-30 seconds, before applying the picture to the wood. I found that by doing it this way, the picture and wood always stays stuck together. Make sure that the picture is placed right where you want it, because, there's no separating them once they come into contact with each other. Good luck.

Len

Thanks, I might give it another try.

When I make puzzles I use this stuff from Hobbycraft the pva glue is cheap and I use an old credit card to spread it on and a sponge roller to even out the picture the puzzle conserver isn't cheap and you just sponge it on, it has it's own sponge attached to the bottle which you wash under water when finished works well. Roly

I will also look into this. So many options I'm all over the place at the moment, just trying to find what works best for me. Do you know of a good spray that would protect the photo? I know there are some out there, just wondering if you have ever used them? Wondering if could I use Deft over photos? I might have to try that today and see what happens.

That puzzle looks good to me. I have never tried a puzzle so I can't add much but there is a lot of answers out there. I dond't think that you need much help.  you did good.

Thanks!

Nice job on the puzzle cutting . i have made a few and so far as I know, I have no sticking problem with mine. At least I have heard of none. I used the regular wood glue. not sure why I was so lucky with it. Maybe I should make one for myself and put it together a few times and see what happens.

Dick

heppnerguy