Large item clamp / press

DWSUDEKUM

I am working on a clamp / press for making bowls and banks and boxes.  I had some left over water well pipe so I made a stand.  The idea is to make a press that would be somewhat like one of those 20 ton bearing presses at Harbor Freight, but who needs 20 ton of pressure for wood hehe.  So I drilled holes in the well pipe ( point E ) and put a removable cross bar between the pipes on both sides.  I was able to get on the cheap some cut off stair tread ( point C ) that was being tossed at Home Depot.  I planed both pieces flat and marked one upper and one lower.  I purchased 2 5/8 in all thread that were 48 inches long and cut them in half.  (Point A ).  I drilled 1 inch holes in the four corners of the stair tread pieces and bolted the all thread to it.  I then sleeved the all thread with some 1 inch pvc piping.  The whole upper section is raised and lowered with an old ( 40 years ) scissor jack that I had laying around not using.  This is still very much a work in progress however it does show promise.

22815_cd_004.jpg

22815_cd_006.jpg

DW

I am working on a clamp / press for making bowls and banks and boxes.  I had some left over water well pipe so I made a stand.  The idea is to make a press that would be somewhat like one of those 20 ton bearing presses at Harbor Freight, but who needs 20 ton of pressure for wood hehe.  So I drilled holes in the well pipe ( point E ) and put a removable cross bar between the pipes on both sides.  I was able to get on the cheap some cut off stair tread ( point C ) that was being tossed at Home Depot.  I planed both pieces flat and marked one upper and one lower.  I purchased 2 5/8 in all thread that were 48 inches long and cut them in half.  (Point A ).  I drilled 1 inch holes in the four corners of the stair tread pieces and bolted the all thread to it.  I then sleeved the all thread with some 1 inch pvc piping.  The whole upper section is raised and lowered with an old ( 40 years ) scissor jack that I had laying around not using.  This is still very much a work in progress however it does show promise.

22815_cd_004.jpg

22815_cd_006.jpg

DW

Ah Ha DW, clever, you're thinking outside the box again. That scissors jack looks like it's as old as me, and just as rusty :lol:  :lol: .

Rob Roy.

That ,should work ! I made one a while back air operated ,after using threaded rod model for a while ,I have found many other uses for my air vise since. installing backer plates,oversize and trimming to exact fit ,,holding stacks tight and square while pin nailing etc.

post-22372-0-27225900-1425128396_thumb.jpg

post-22372-0-14712200-1425128415_thumb.jpg

Edited by Multifasited

That ,should work ! I made one a while back air operated ,after using threaded rod model for a while ,I have found many other uses for my air vise since. installing backer plates,oversize and trimming to exact fit ,,holding stacks tight and square while pin nailing etc.

Well done that man. You've been thinking outside several boxes Carl :D  :D  :D .

Rob Roy.

22815_cd_004.jpg

22815_cd_006.jpg

DW

King kong press, That one should last! Carefull you don't crush things,lol Im made the pipe clamp press just to do a bowl and it ended up cluttered with everything but wood,lol