First Pattern and Portrait

Fishman

I'm back with a new project I started last week and finally had the time to finish!

It was my first time converting an image to a pattern and cutting it out. There are a few things I know could use some work, I'm very happy overall though! I'm not going to frame this one, I'm going to cut another (and hopefully better one) out of the new wood I bought.

To the people with far more experience than me, what do you think? More specifically what about the eyes and mouth? They look okay? From what I've read those can be the hardest to get right in the pattern.

You can be honest, don't worry I can take it....that's how I'm going to learn and improve. ;)

Thanks for looking!

post-25096-0-57821400-1425264342_thumb.jpg

Edited by Fishman

Thanks everybody! I think the next one I do I'm going to paint behind the apple red, it might be cool....or distracting. We shall see!

I think it looks great overall.  I think her right eye is a little off but I can't tell you why.  I hesitate to even say that mucj because I could not do nearly as well as youe did. 

I think you're right, there is something off with that eye a bit. Not exactly sure what it is myself, I will mess around with it and see if I can improve it any next time.

Overall a great effort on the pattern.  There is just something not quite right with the eyes but I'm not too sure what the problem is, but I think the right eye is better than the left.  You did a great job of the cutting too.

Marg

I think it looks great overall.  I think her right eye is a little off but I can't tell you why.  I hesitate to even say that mucj because I could not do nearly as well as youe did. 

Overall a great effort on the pattern.  There is just something not quite right with the eyes but I'm not too sure what the problem is, but I think the right eye is better than the left.  You did a great job of the cutting too.

Marg

I see what's wrong I think, I kind of strayed from the pattern too much. I was starting to have issues with the wood and was nervous it would break/splinter. Didn't really think much of it at the time, but it seems me not cutting the few extra cuts made things look funny. Looking back on the pattern it seems I skipped some crucial cuts. I was using some cheap sheathing and it had voids in it, this was before I got the other wood.

I went back to the pattern, took the eyes from it and put them on my cut piece to see what it would look like....so before I even cut it, does this look better? This is more of what it was supposed to be cut like. You can swap between the two to get a closer look at what parts I skipped.

post-25096-0-43879400-1425281950_thumb.jpg

post-25096-0-28635400-1425282096_thumb.jpg

Edited by Fishman