Vinyl shelf paper

mikewix

In a resent post I heard vinyl shelf paper mentioned as a backer for patterns. I use blue painters tape which works fine, but always looking to try something better. I was wondering how many of you use the shelf paper, where you purchase it and your thoughts on using it. Mike

I quit using tape of any kind.  I use spray adhiesive on the pattern and put it directly to the wood.  Remove the pattern with mineral spirits.  I just could not see an advantage to the tape.  I have never had any burning when using spiral blades.  That is what works for me.  At least now. I'll always willing to try new things.

That's nice and all ,but when you spray mixed mineral spirits with a little lacquer thinner on your pattern. IN SECONDS it come off in one piece and total breaks down any stickiness or slime.Spray one time more lightly and wipe of what you missed the first time .I pick up spray bottles and have a good supply of them as the mixture eats away the sprayer pump.

To each his own ,Personally ,I use vinyl shelf paper for many reasons ,walmart ,dollar store have it $2.00 a roll 18" wide very long 20' I think,,comes in both metric and std measure ,premarked sqs. on back cut to fit ,peel backing off ! I lite hand sand top layer w/ 320 flex block DIY  and wipe off dust thouroughly and apply .smooth from center in all directions .at least  TEN TIMES  cheaper than blue tape ,,no seams ,simple fast complete coverage ,no waste, lubes blades , removes w/o residue in one piece ,I work the corners to the middle to remove ,spray adhesive and stick pattern over ,no bumps ,ripples or seams .No secondary use of solvents ,saves some more money  and smell and dry time ,  The last two rolls I bought were CONTACT BRAND  at the grocery store I think .follow all the instruction ,that lite sanding is needed ,only takes a few seconds ,as it is not reccomended for bare wood ,that allows it to stick well ,BUT you have to get all the dust off ,then will stick and release w/o leaving residue .Been using for over a yr now ,works well for me ! Not trying to make anyone chance his or her method ,some one asked ,so I am responding best I know how ! But it is a hell of a lot cheaper and saves me all the fun of using tape ,I always wasted a lot . 

Edited by Multifasited

I was curious on how much it cost to use blue painter's tape. Based on $7 per roll (1.88" x 60 yds.) It costs about 20 cents to cover an 8" x 10" project. I'm not sure what it it would cost to use turpentine on a project but I'm sure it would be less. But, like everything else...it's a preference.

I quit using tape of any kind.  I use spray adhiesive on the pattern and put it directly to the wood.  Remove the pattern with mineral spirits.  I just could not see an advantage to the tape.  I have never had any burning when using spiral blades.  That is what works for me.  At least now. I'll always willing to try new things.

same here only time i use tape, (packing) is cutting cherry

I use the method in the video. As i said before, I used the blue tape and glue stick method for years and swore by it. After giving this method a try, I will be with it until I find something better. It is extremely efficient for small fret cuts. and so much quicker and easier to remove pattern than it is with the blue tape. It all works and everyone has THEIR way. As for me, i enjoy the pattern directly on the wood, removed with paint thinner or mineral spirits. Thank you Paul for the video, I will not incorporate the foam brush too. I was only using a rag before but I see this will work even better

Dick

heppnerguy