test for your dust collectors on your SCROLLSAWS

Multifasited

I think Most will agree it's the fine dust that's the bad stuff ,So ,I ran some tests to illustrate ,the point ,and be able to see ,What you can not see usually ,And do so in a manner effectively,to be able to see ,(the invisible) . Granted neither of will ever be these items is or will be normal fodder for a scrollsaw ,and only cut for proof of filter effectiveness and whether changes to you system are needed. The TEST - is very easy & FAST , I used a 5"x5" scrap of 1/2" sheet rock taped the border sealing against edge crumbles etc. so actual cutting of saw leaves or makes dust on the saw table . Now set your saw up the way you normally use it and start sawing making a zig zag pattern thru the piece , Being the dust is white you will be able to see a stark contrast to and other dust shut down as usual ,wait 5 minutes for the air borne dust still floating to settle . This should dramatically give proof you could not see ,The small size ,should not have any effect on any of you using vac's , other then show you how much is passing thru back into the air and you will be able to see it's effect also.

Good Luck ,But I am afraid at least some of you will wanting to make some changes ,some will mock at the use of sheet rock ,This 2 minute test raises the DUST level Dramatic-ly to illustrate the point few can see what they Breath in hours of Scrolling ,a few will scoff ,a few will laff ,But all will

wonder ,to some degree especially those who cut toxic wood ,plywood w/ glues and MBF just for starters .

I would ask Those of you ,who Do the test ,and scare hell out of them selves ,and those who have a better way to reply ! They are your Lungs ,Now I HAVE COPD ,(which NO_BODY in their right wants )That DUST Has been a Thing I had to fix or give up Scrolling all together ,So I pass this along to you while you have no issues , Get a large vac and put a sheet rock dust collector bag in it to stop the Ultra fine dust from re-entering the room and protecting the bearings of the vac.s Motor ,and the mess you can't SEE ! Carl

Short of working in a wind tunnel with the wind at your back the ONLY safe way is to wear a respirator, a good one and to have some form of air filtration system working in the shop.  I know it's uncomfortable and for those that wear glasses can be a bit of a challenge to find one that will not interfere with them or fog them up however to prove a point that Multifasited has made, get one of those over the ear dust masks and put it on the next time you are cutting and you will be shocked at how much sawdust is generated that you are breathing.  Below is just a few of the more common woods we use and the reported side effects of the saw dust.

Pine (Pinus genus) - irritant, runny nose, asthma

Oak (Quercus genus) -  irritant, sensitizer, asthma, NPC (Nasopharyngeal carcinoma, or sometimes called nasopharyngeal cancer) (rare)

Birch (Betula genus) -  irritant, sensitizer, nausea

Cedar, Aromatic Red  - irritant

Douglas-fir - irritant, giddiness, splinters go septic, nausea

Maple (Acer genus) - irritant, sensitizer, asthma; HP ( Severe lung inflammation ) in spalted maple

Travis posted back in 2010 a toxicity list, here is a link to it. http://www.scrollsawvillage.com/topic/5848-wood-toxicity-chart/?hl=%2Bwood+%2Btoxicity+%2Blist

Now not everyone is or will be adversely affected however why take the chance wear a dust mask, a good one if possible when cutting and sanding.  I have had 2 friends end up in the hospital with allergic reactions to the sawdust from Yellow Heart since I have asthma I wear a mask and I have a running air filter system in the shop to help keep the floating micro dust contained.  

Did I mention that floating micro saw dust can be explosive?  In the right conditions a gas water heater, Furnace, space heater could set the floating dust off, not common but possible.  Seriously.  Just another reason to keep the saw dust under control. 

DW

Edited by DWSUDEKUM

You have me worried now . I have a 20" box fan blowing across the scrollsaw from the left.To the right  of me i have another 20" box fan sucking the wind across the saw the first fan is generating.Then i have another fan in back of that one to give it an boost out beyond my canopy tent with sides on it .I never smell saw dust which i think is a good indicator.But now I'd like a vacuum right at the blade top and bottom just as a triple check.I  couldn't breath once from food poisoning and it is terrifying! :) Thsanks for the heads up :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:

I Don't have a dust collector but I do wear a good mask that I bought at HD for about $35  I have a small shop vac that I use after I saw to pick up sawdust. I should do more with the vac, I haven't figured out to use it and a dust collector my shop is so small  8' X 12'

Ike,I hate to tell you ,the less space, the higher ,the concentration per sq.ft. ,Yes ,I definitely suggest a good vac, and a sheet rock filter bag to contain the the dust and protect the vacs motor's bearings and stop exhausting ultra fines back thru the vac.into the space it is housed ,I am fortunate I have an out side wall in my computer room under a porch roof so the vac is outside under cover and extended by 2" pvc .every thing is DIY except the vac and bag ! I even cut some concrete siding as a short test ( kills blade very fast )but vac got all the dust ,Planning to video tape and post if and when I can get setup and posting figured out in a decent format (not a camera or computer geek!to say the least) so it's trail and error ! I want to try the black light thing ,not sure how well that will video ,.The key for real success is collection at the source w/o

creating a octopus or blocking access .My personal belief is this can be done on any modern saw ,with a little effort and very limited cost ! BTW my computer room is only 10x14 and houses two desks saw drill press and dremel cabinet ,large wide dresser and my 42"x42" rollaround table and my rollaround saw caddie ,roll around tool box frames and shelves in closet. so I am probably as cramped as you plus my computer set 4' from the saw . But sure beats hell out of working in my cold and hot shop

for detailed work ,Oh!! yeah ,2 wide roll around office type chairs complete the room w'4 over head 8' shelves up high

loaded. Hope this helps ! I have posted numerous posts with pix over the last yr with up grades and tweeks ,Ihope some of this helps as you decide how to make you room as dust free as possible ! Carl

If I had that much fear of dust, I would not scroll, I would not do woodwork, I would not go outside a bubble.  Reasonable is all I can do.  I guess beyond that I will have to trust that God put hair in my nose for some reason.  Maybe to collect dust.

There are an awful lot of people in the hospital with perfectly good nose hairs ,Go figure !

GOD !! helps those who HELP them selves ,Reminds me of the Guy that Prayed for two years to win the LOTTERY ,Finally the last night a LOAD Voice came out of the clouds saying ,First you have to buy a lottery TICKET ,

Good luck I wish you the best ! Carl

Edited by Multifasited

This sounds like a good test, I am going to try it next time I am out in the shop.

When I first started scrolling I never had a dust collector but after scrolling I would be coughing and my nose would be all stuffed up. I bought a dust collector and it made a world of difference. No more coughing or stuffed nose.

My setup is not perfect but its still a work in progress. As you can see from the picture below my saw it doesn't get all the dust but I have very little dust on my table when cutting.

post-5389-0-80459100-1427241479_thumb.jpg

post-5389-0-19054400-1427241493_thumb.jpg

I'm new to scrolling, and hadn't given much thought to breathing in the dust until I started noticing after spending a few hours at the saw I would have a bit of throat irritation and would often cough a bit after.  I bought a good mask and it seems to have helped a lot, even if my Wife now refers to me as Darth Vader :lol:

3-J ,masks are good for some ,they good up to $ 450.00 plus canisters ,some love them ,personally with trifocals and dislike for lack of freedom good ones pose ,I chose to get it at the source and expell it outdoors and not have to deal with it at all . What ever masks gets only what you breath while the mask is on ,the rest is there for you to stirup later when your maskless ,I really not trying to be a smart ass but it's a fact plus keeping your mask clean when not in use .If none of those are issues . you have found what helps and serves you needs, I glad ,that was my first step and like you say helped a lot,but not enough for me ,But I never went to DW style ,$$$$ Carl

3-J ,masks are good for some ,they good up to $ 450.00 plus canisters ,some love them ,personally with trifocals and dislike for lack of freedom good ones pose ,I chose to get it at the source and expell it outdoors and not have to deal with it at all . What ever masks gets only what you breath while the mask is on ,the rest is there for you to stirup later when your maskless ,I really not trying to be a smart ass but it's a fact plus keeping your mask clean when not in use .If none of those are issues . you have found what helps and serves you needs, I glad ,that was my first step and like you say helped a lot,but not enough for me ,But I never went to DW style ,$$$$ Carl

Yeah while it did help a lot I'm also looking into a lot of different solutions that I've seen here and around the internet.  Right now I'm waiting on getting my new saw so I'll have a lot of time to fiddle with some ideas I have.  Thanks for all the advice!