Saw Down

So I've been having some issues with the tension knob on my 10+ year old Ryobi.  Over a period of a few days it got harder and harder to turn and I found it was really starting to hurt my elbow having to reach back constantly and wrench on it.  I tried oiling it to no avail and finally decided I needed to try and take it apart and see what was going on.  What I found is that other than the tension bolt itself and a spring all the parts are plastic.  One of the plastic pieces inside had dry rotted and broke off inside.  I tried to come up with a DIY solution but no luck.  The good news is I'm getting a new Dewalt, but I've got to wait two weeks for that.  Hope I don't go from withdrawls going two weeks without a saw...lol

Just wanted to add, seems like people are having problems getting parts for the DeWalt.  My suggestion is read about it and if you get a chance, order some of the most common repair parts when they are available.  I ordered several parts for my Excalibur that I felt were likely to wear out the quickest, just to have them on hand.

Just wanted to add, seems like people are having problems getting parts for the DeWalt.  My suggestion is read about it and if you get a chance, order some of the most common repair parts when they are available.  I ordered several parts for my Excalibur that I felt were likely to wear out the quickest, just to have them on hand.

Sounds like great advice!  I also plan to keep an eye out for good deals on a back up saw to have just in case. 

jjj I have a dewalt 788 and I am very pleased about it it did go bad on me once-while it was under guarantee and I took it to dewalt repair shop and they fixed it . It took about 2 weeks for them to get to it but they fixed it pretly quick after they got  on it. a back up saw is a good idea just finding one at a reasonable price is hard to do.